joint ill

A place to exchange ideas, stories, and to solve problems related to breeding the flock and delivering lambs.
Lana Rowley
Old Hand

joint ill

Postby Lana Rowley » Mon May 25, 2009 7:08 pm

We have a good case going, and are treating with Pen G. How long until i should see results?

Thanks

Lana

lovetree
Old Hand

Re: joint ill

Postby lovetree » Mon May 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Hmm, I havent used pen before, but when I used LA200, I saw improvemnt within 24-48 hours...the lambs just seemed to be in less pain and walked a little more relaxed.
I used LA200 one shot every other day for 10 days (five shots) By day 10 there was absolutely no limping, stiffness, or bent joints.
Mary Falk / LoveTree Farmstead
home of the dual purpose Trade Lake Sheep and the nationally celebrated Trade Lake Cedar Cheese
NW Wisconsin

Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Tue May 26, 2009 9:41 pm

All the info i have found says long acting pen..never had one before so may throw some other drugs in too..so far not any better and is such a big lovely lamb a real heart breaker.

Lana

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Wed May 27, 2009 3:38 am

Hi Lana,

Here's what I would do (and in fact, am doing with a similar big fat lamb that has come up lame). Don't administer oxytet and penicillin at the same time, and don't bother with long-acting penicillin. Dose the penicillin at 1 cc per 15 lbs and administer it twice a day. Assuming that this is a small lamb born in the last couple of weeks, I'd give it a very small shot of Banamine as well -- 1/4 cc if you can manage it -- and a half a cc of BoSe, even if it got it at birth. Banamine and BoSe would be one-shot deals. The penicillin goes on for at least four days, often for seven or 10. Administer everything sub-q.

Long-acting antibiotics (long-acting penicillin and LA 200 or generic) have the advantage of requiring fewer injections, and therefore fewer catches, but they have the disadvantage, in my experience, of not working.

Darroll Grant
Old Hand

Postby Darroll Grant » Wed May 27, 2009 7:07 am

Also permanently mark the lamb so that at marketing if you have the opportunity to sell "natural' lambs you will know that it doesn't fit the qualifications.
Darroll Grant
western Oregon

lovetree
Old Hand

Postby lovetree » Wed May 27, 2009 7:40 am

My intention is to not be argumentative here, but LA 200 REALLY does knock joint ill into oblivion and you only have to administer it once ever other day (5 shots) and for a lamb, that makes a BIG difference on it''s stress load and recovery time.
Many years ago we had 20 lambs come down with it, (even though we had diligently treated the navels),it appeared that the hay we had purchased from a local farmer who had spread pig manure on his fields was the likely suspect for bringing in the bacteria.
We never lost one lamb and they all recoverd beautifully.
Mary Falk / LoveTree Farmstead

home of the dual purpose Trade Lake Sheep and the nationally celebrated Trade Lake Cedar Cheese

NW Wisconsin

Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Wed May 27, 2009 9:37 am

Thanks guys i had thought about some pain relief and will get that this am. Did the Bose, and will notch her ears so we know she is not natural.. as we do sell them that way. I am checking her every few hours during the day, and getting her up to eat and change position.

Lana

cynthia Palmer
Old Hand

Postby cynthia Palmer » Wed May 27, 2009 10:14 am

Our vet has prescribed LA200 once and Borgal once; they were showing improvement within 24 hours

Muleflock
Old Hand

Postby Muleflock » Wed May 27, 2009 12:06 pm

Both tetracycline and penicillin penetrate the joint lining and joint fluid at high levels. Both are effective against gram positive bacteria which make up the majority of joint infections derived from septic infections in sheep. Used at the correct dosages, both can be maintained at or above the minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) to do the job in most instances. Failures occur when the MIC requirement is too high because of antibiotic resistance or the organism involved is not susceptible to the drug being used. For example, if you have a penicillin resistant staph brewing in the barn and it causes joint ill, then you may not be able to reach the MIC required with long acting penicillin formulas whereas you might be able to reach a high MIC at peak plasma levels with short acting pen. Also, penicillin wouldn't be effective for Mycoplasma whereas tetracycline usually would be.

Mary..You where most likely dealing with Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae contaminated bedding which is usually susceptible to both pen and tetracycline.

Cynthia... trimethoprim/sulfa injectible is not approved for use in food animals in the US but is in Canada.

Of course culture and sensitivity is the best way to go but that usually doesn't get done in the real world or when you get the occasional once a year case. When I was in the UK, I visited a producer who had experienced considerable losses from naval ill both the joint form and liver abscesses. The staph cultured was highly resistant teracycline, all the keflex derivitives and penecillin but was susceptible to the potentiated penicillin, Clavamox. Fortunately for them, Clavamox injectable is approved for use in food animals in the UK and his problem was quickly resolved once he started treating with it.

Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Wed May 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks Mark good info.

The Banimine really seemed to make her feel better. Also was in town and broke down and bought some Nuflor..seems like less shots for the lil gal.

This is a pasture lambed ewe lamb, must have missed a navel or something..

Lana

Looking4ewes
Old Hand
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Looking4ewes » Wed May 27, 2009 1:46 pm

What does joint ill look like? I have one lamb that has an inflamed back hoof, all other joints fine. Vet said to treat it with Pen-G, 1 ml IM for 5 days. The navel looks fine.

ETA: I just did a search on joint ill and it is the most likely suspect. This lamb was exposed to a dirty lambing jug.
Wendy Villarreal

Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Wed May 27, 2009 4:59 pm

This was our first one and she had swollen front and back leg hock. She could not walk well. This afternoon she is much better.i am very surprised with how bad she was 24 hours ago.

Lana

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Wed May 27, 2009 5:47 pm

Maybe I'll give LA 200 a try next time I have a case of joint ill. I was just relating my experience. I'd love to knock it out with one or two shots rather than 10 or 15.

Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 pm

A friend of mine uses Nuflor and said she gives 3 doses....

Lana

Muleflock
Old Hand

Postby Muleflock » Wed May 27, 2009 7:40 pm

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Breeding and lambing”