Censorship versus tolerating nonsense

Announcements about changes in the forum. Also a place to ask questions about how to use the forum, or to make suggestions for how it could be improved.
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Censorship versus tolerating nonsense

Postby Bill Fosher » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:41 am

I've been walking a fine line on this matter in the thread under general management on NAIS.

I really want this forum to be open and inclusive of all opinions, but I can't abide folks using this serve to spread outright falsehoods, either intentionally or or not.

Having differences of opinion is one thing, and I'd like to think that would be part of what could make this forum useful. But opinions that are supported by the assertation of falsehoods will at least have to be challenged and perhaps removed.

I have taken what I consider to be a middle road on the NAIS debate. I'm leaving it visible in all its glory, letting Cory have the last word, but I am locking it because it seemed it had devolved into Cory saying "Yes it is" and me replying "No it isn't." We seemed to be the only ones participating in the discussion.

NAIS is a very important issue, and if there are others who want to add thoughts, by all means start another thread and I will attempt to moderate it so that it will not become a repeat of the first one.

I hope the members understand this decision, and as with all decisions I am open to suggestions and amendments.

Thanks
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Cory

seeing your point

Postby Cory » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:41 am

Bill,
I can see your point that neither of us were convincing each other.

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:28 pm

Cory,

I have removed the parts of your post where you attempted to continue to make your case. If you have a suggestion for how to improve the forums (not the substance, but the administration) this is the place to discuss it with me. If you want to continue the disucussion on NAIS, either start another topic under General Management, or find another place where it is appropriate.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:30 pm

Today, due to my ongoing frustration with Cory's attempts to use this forum to propigate falsehoods in furtherance of his political stance against NAIS, I have terminated his access to this forum. It's not a step I took lightly, but I believe it is the only way to preserve some sense of credibility to the materials posted on this site.

Everyone makes mistakes. We can all be wrong about things. We can and should have differences of opinion. A forum where everyone agrees would be pretty boring. I will never take action against someone who simply makes a mistake, and I will never take action against someone simply because we disagree.

Cory's behavior was outrageous. Despite warnings, he continued to post allegations about the Henshaw case with -- giving him the benefit of the doubt here -- utter disregard for the truth or falsity of his allegations. He was using this forum to make a political point, and if he had to lie and speculate in order to do that, that seemed to be okay with him. It is not okay with me. As I said here and elsewhere, I felt compelled to fact check and play truth squad on any information he posts. That's not how I want to spend my time.

His insulting statement that he couldn't be bothered to spend time to respond to my logical assertion that NAIS might have avoided the situation that developed with the Henshaw place certainly frosted me, but it's not why I terminated his access.

I don't want this to stifle discussion of NAIS or any other controversial matter. Everyone is welcome to use this forum to make any points they want to -- as long as they are being honest and respectful.

With regrets,
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Kensmuir
Old Hand

Postby Kensmuir » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:40 am

You can not reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into in the first place. -- Jonathan Swift
Bill Gary
Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center
River Falls, WI

Return to “Forum operations”