Transport needed PA to CT

Need a shearer? Offering fence construction? Let your fellow shepherds know. See announcement for terms and conditions.
JHooper
Old Hand

Transport needed PA to CT

Postby JHooper » Thu May 14, 2009 3:06 pm

One large Katahdin ram from Quakertown PA to Ashford CT (northeastern CT).

OR... any transport suggestions? It's only 200 miles. I've got a Toyota Tacoma but no trailer.

Thanks,
Judy

Peg Haese
Old Hand

Re: Transport needed PA to CT

Postby Peg Haese » Thu May 14, 2009 3:37 pm

We use a pen made from lambing jug panels (cut from hog panels) in the back of my mini van. It works great with adult sheep, including a mature Katahdin ram for 450 miles. We put an 8x10 plastic tarp on the carpet, then a piece of plywood and the panels on that, and straw on the plywood. We fasten the tarp up the sides of the panels after we have it loaded. I do put rug pieces on the tops of the panel corners so nothing gets scratched.

That type of pen should work in your Tacoma, just fasten it down good. Tarp on top would be good and something for windbreak.
Peg Haese, PNP Katahdins, far SW Wisconsin USA

JHooper
Old Hand

Postby JHooper » Fri May 15, 2009 5:11 am

Peg, that's a great idea. I won't be able to lift him into the truck, but I don't see why I couldn't construct the same sort of thing in a 5x8 U-Haul utility trailer. I could build a small ramp if needed, but in any case it should be fairly easy to march him right in with a dog. Thanks!

Judy

Double Barrel
Old Hand

Postby Double Barrel » Mon May 18, 2009 8:20 am

We just use the same ramps that we use to load motorcycles, tractors, etc, into the truck. They are just made from 2x12's tho. you can buy the little ends (so that you have a rest for the tailgate at one end) you should be able to purchase those anywhere... farmstore, autopart store, hardware store.... probably even walmart or target. you just have to purchase the planks from a lumber yard.

oh... and you might want to purchase those step treds, too. wet wood goes get a bit slippery :oops:

we used these ramps not long ago to load 7 rescue ewes from a trailer into the back of our truck. even without sides, they walked right into the truck, then right out when we got home.
Got to be a little crazy to keep from going insane!

Paul DeWitte
Old Hand

Postby Paul DeWitte » Mon May 18, 2009 11:32 am

Judy, if you think that you need something on the end of the ramp you can use a short piece of angle iron bolted close to the end.

If it is steep you might want to nail some cross pieces on the ramps.

JHooper
Old Hand

Postby JHooper » Tue May 19, 2009 9:48 am

Thanks for the ramp suggestions. I was hesitant, but it's good to know others have tried it and it works.

The more I learn about this ram (we've not met in person) the more I think I might really need a trailer -- or get a ram lamb instead. I'm told his standing head height is well over 48 inches which, in my short experience, seems really large. :shock:

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Judy

Paul DeWitte
Old Hand

Postby Paul DeWitte » Tue May 19, 2009 12:47 pm

Judy if he is that big maybe you could harness him and have him pull you home

JHooper
Old Hand

Postby JHooper » Tue May 19, 2009 6:26 pm

:lol: That's probably the best idea yet!

Mona Howard

Postby Mona Howard » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am

Paul DeWitte wrote:Judy if he is that big maybe you could harness him and have him pull you home

Or I could lend you my saddle....

Return to “Services Available or Wanted”