lost fences

Chatter, friendly gossip, a bowl of stew ...
greengrazer
Old Hand

lost fences

Postby greengrazer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:14 am

Fences down; row crop in. Everywhere i turn every hillside, garden spot, and woods being cleared as fast as they can. Where does it all go and is it sustainable? Between the croppers and rich city folk deer hunters its nearly impossible to find pasture ground anymore and if you do its valued out of reach. Its always been assumed that land will never go down because they dont make anymore of it. Im in Ky just curious what its like in other areas.

Mike Wallace
Old Hand

Re: lost fences

Postby Mike Wallace » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Same thing here, except it is not hunters/houses.
It is corn-bean farmers. A rough quarter native grass 3 miles east of here sold for 3800$/a a month ago. The same quarter would have sold for about 600$ ten year ago. It sold to a farmer who only raises irrigated corn, not even beans. He'll break it, put a pivot on it, plant corn, and water it to get a crop. He owns the other rthree quarters in that section, already.
I did not understand how this can work with $3.50 corn, until someone pointed out the government's price/income supported insurance. This now makes sense. The corn farmers are guaranteed net income, using your tax dollars?

denice
Old Hand

Postby denice » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:38 am

Just north of you but in OH and IN there are mostly crop farmers where there remains farm ground. Few of those folks have livestock. If it can be farmed it is, if it needs cleared to that so be it. No fence lines left any longer, farm every inch. I am in a rather hilly wooded area with hills steep enough farming is not possible. There are a few more cattle here and some ground is sold to hunters. The thing that keeps city folks away is the narrow winding roads and no jobs within a 45 min drive. I do believe if the farmers had to make a living on their crops / land things would change and there would be lots more pastures in this part of the world. No one even grazes after harvest or plants any cover on fields.
The cities and towns are increasing in size edging out the rural communities.

Justin-PA
Newcomer

Postby Justin-PA » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:10 am

greengrazer wrote:Fences down; row crop in. Everywhere i turn every hillside, garden spot, and woods being cleared as fast as they can. Where does it all go and is it sustainable? Between the croppers and rich city folk deer hunters its nearly impossible to find pasture ground anymore and if you do its valued out of reach. Its always been assumed that land will never go down because they dont make anymore of it. Im in Ky just curious what its like in other areas.

Like Mike says, not sure its sustainable at $3.50 corn. But you know what is at those prices? Corn-fed beef and lamb. :lol: In all seriousness, be grateful its still in farmland. Better than a giant subdivision. :roll:

IowaDave
Old Hand

Postby IowaDave » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Try living in an area where pasture might cost you 3500-5000/ac and good crop ground will set you back $9500-11,000.

Makes you examine your sanity for even trying.

Dave
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

Return to “The Shepherd's Hut”