DEVASTATION

Chatter, friendly gossip, a bowl of stew ...
denice
Old Hand

DEVASTATION

Postby denice » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 am

I can not begin to comprehend the devastation that those in the path of the wildfires through CO, KS, OK and TX are dealing with. The amount of land burned is unimaginable. Charred black ashes as far as you can see. Land that just weeks ago held cattle, horses, sheep and hog now that 'life' is gone. The promise of spring and new life no longer holds true. Ranchers that have worked their lifetime to build their herds and flocks have been gathering those animals that survived the fire to end their suffering as quickly as possibly. I know the heartache of needing to shoot an animal, can't imagine that task when hundreds of animals are involved.

Generations of hard work lost in minutes. More blood, sweat and tears is all that remains in some places.

There are no numbers yet for loss of animals. I bet it will be in the millions. Those that do have cattle have lost their hay, feed, grazing, fences... Homes and building, equipment touched along with the land. Yes there has been loss of human life. Ranchers in TX trying to save their herd brings tears to my eyes as I think of their families.

"The numbers are unbelievable. It has been reported that over one million acres have burned—460,000 acres in Kansas, 400,000 acres in Oklahoma, 325,000 acres in Texas and 30,000 acres in Colorado."

The bright spot in all the tragedy is the farmers and ranchers from all across this country that are helping these folks. Hay is being donated by the semi load, fence supplies are headed that way also. Donations of money and time and labor are being received with open arms.

Please donate if you can

The High Plains Journal is doing a good job of reporting

Keep these folks in your prayers when you look outside seeing green grass and livestock grazing and babies bouncing in pastures - remember how lucky we are. Remember how quickly it can all go away.

Tara Voda
Familiar Face

Re: DEVASTATION

Postby Tara Voda » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:56 pm

I have been looking for a site to donate just for shepherds affected, but no luck. However....

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association is organizing relief efforts :www.beefusa.org/firereliefresourses.aspx.

Kansas Livestock Association is organizing hay and fencing material donations for delivery in Kansas. Www.kla.org/donationform.aspx. Mail checks to 6031 SW 37th St. Topeka, KS 66614

Colorado has an immediate need for hay, feed, fencing and individuals willing to donate trucking. http://coloradofarmbureau.com/disasterfund/. Or mail checks to Colorado Farm Bureau Foundation, Attn: disaster fund, 9177 E. Mineral Circle, Centennial, CO 80112.

Make checks payable to Oklahoma Cattlemen's Foundation and put "Fire Relief" in the memo line and send to PO Box 82395, Oklahoma City, OK 73148. To donate online, visit www.okcattlemen.org.

Texasfarmbureau.org/panhandle-wildfire-relief-fund for information.
Tara Voda
Summerfield, OH

dog
Old Hand

Postby dog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:42 pm

down here we go through these situations on a regular basis. One thing you must remember is that it is not just the farmer that is the victim it is the supporting rural town and the small store front owners where that farmer got his farm supplies from - truckloads of hay will indeed feed what animals are left, truckloads of fencing will indeed get the farmer back on his feet however when things return to normal he may no longer find the store front owners there to supply him once the trucks leave. The best thing that can be done for these farmers is to donate hard cash that can be spent in the local supporting town to buy hay, fencing etc This can be done with cash or voucher usable at the local suppliers. As down here truckload after truckload of supplies coming from out of the area (in our case in some cases out of state) simply puts those that are also victims and who are required in the normal course to maintain the viability of the farms around out of business.

I certainly hope that none of the forum members were in the fire path.

John

IowaDave
Old Hand

Postby IowaDave » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:55 pm

John, that's why I chose not to donate fencing supplies. Let the local businesses handle that.

I have, however, made available 2 semi-loads of hay to any trucker that can haul it. Supposed to be picked up in the next few weeks. I'd guess that I personally know of several dozen loads of hay going down from my area.

Dave
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

Return to “The Shepherd's Hut”