Selling Lambs around X-Mas Time

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
sloeffle
Old Hand

Selling Lambs around X-Mas Time

Postby sloeffle » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:51 am

Had a buyer back out on buying five ewe lambs. I was looking at the market report ( http://www.mthopeauction.com/sites/defa ... -10-14.pdf ) for December 10th of 2014. It looks like the lambs that sold two weeks before X-Mas brought a higher price than lambs that sold a week before. Is this generally the case in most years ?

This year's December sale dates are on December 9th and 16th.

Thanks,

Scott

Mona Howard

Re: Selling Lambs around X-Mas Time

Postby Mona Howard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:48 am

Malid ad-Nabi occurs, I believe at the end of December this year. There may be a demand for lamb a couple weeks beforehand. I noticed our local market spiked a little around this holiday last year. Could be coincidence. I will be taking a few
ram lambs at this time myself.

Mona Howard

Postby Mona Howard » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:29 am

I did take two ram lambs to the livestock auction on 12/16/15. The one weighed 75 lbs. and sold for $2.75 a lb. The 90 lb. ram sold for $2.50 a lb. Normally they sell my lambs in a group but this day they were sending in all the sheep and goats individually.

Island Shepherd
Old Hand

Postby Island Shepherd » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:30 am

Mona Howard wrote:Malid ad-Nabi occurs, I believe at the end of December this year. There may be a demand for lamb a couple weeks beforehand. I noticed our local market spiked a little around this holiday last year. Could be coincidence. I will be taking a few
ram lambs at this time myself.

It was December 23rd.

sloeffle
Old Hand

Postby sloeffle » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:06 am

When I was delivering lamb to my customer a few asked if we had anymore lamb for sale. I told them I did but they wouldn't be ready until late January since that was the earliest I could get a butcher appointment. I ended up selling all of them via direct marketing channels and gained a new customer along with it. I am currently feeding them out and they will be going to the butcher on January 26th.

The prices at Mt Hope were pretty good though on both days IMHO:

http://www.mthopeauction.com/sites/defa ... -16-15.pdf

http://www.mthopeauction.com/sites/defa ... 2-9-15.pdf

Prices from December 9th were a bit higher.

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:31 pm

Be thankful you can get a butcher appointment that quickly. One of our shops is already booked for the fall of 2016.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

sloeffle
Old Hand

Postby sloeffle » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:31 pm

Bill Fosher wrote:Be thankful you can get a butcher appointment that quickly. One of our shops is already booked for the fall of 2016.

Wow. My normal butcher was booked into March when I called in December. It was an interesting conversation asking your butcher who they would recommend.

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:55 pm

Around here if you want animals slaughtered between September and January, you need to have booked your appointments by late April or early May. That means I'm often booking slaughter dates for animals that haven't been born yet. Sometimes if you have one or two, they can slip you in here or there, but it's obviously inefficient to truck one or two lambs every so often to a bunch of different plants. Two of our nearby plants have recently discontinued service for small ruminants, so this is only going to get worse.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

denice
Old Hand

Postby denice » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:36 am

Here the slaughter facilities are busy in the fall with deer and do nothing else. If you want an appointment for Jan you have to book in that in the early Fall. My freezer is waiting on a couple also:)

Island Shepherd
Old Hand

Postby Island Shepherd » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Brought my last load of lambs to the butcher today. He had some beef and pigs to do but was glad to get the work now as bear, moose, and deer is all over with. With the temperature going into single digits (supposed to be 1F tonight plus quite a breeze of wind) I am glad to be rid of them. Tough to keep them gaining good in these conditions.

He just called with the weights while I was typing this. BAM! heavier than I thought they would be. Always a relief and a good feeling. No walk-on scale so must eyeball and guesstimate. I could get lazy just feeding the ewe flocks now.

Return to “Markets and marketing”