Transporting Lambs

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
Millstone Farm
Old Hand

Transporting Lambs

Postby Millstone Farm » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:27 am

I advertised 31 lambs on craigslist, hoping to sell the whole lot to one buyer. Got a call yesterday from a guy about 338 miles away wanting to know if I would deliver. I told him I would for $550 and thought that was reasonable for the fuel and about 11 hours on the road. He texted back wanting me to ship them for FREE. What do ya think? Is $550 reasonable to pull a trailer 676 miles? Realistically, it will probably end up more like 700 miles
He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. Isaiah 40:11

Wayne Webb
Millstone Farm
https://www.facebook.com/millstonefarm85
Chipley, FL

denice
Old Hand

Re: Transporting Lambs

Postby denice » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:23 pm

Lots of scams and scammers out there.Would not even think of loading them tiIl had CASH in hand. Any reasonable person would expect to pay for transportation

Millstone Farm
Old Hand

Postby Millstone Farm » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:43 pm

Absolutely.
I told him sorry, couldn't haul them that far for free. I run a business and charge $60/hour for wages, overhead and running equipment like CNC machines etc. I look at using my $29k truck as wear and tear on another expensive piece of equipment too. So I figured $40/hr drive time plus fuel cost. I think it's a little cheap from that perspective but was just wondering what the going rate to haul was. I would need all the money before hauling too.
He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. Isaiah 40:11

Wayne Webb
Millstone Farm
Chipley, FL

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:00 am

You'd be losing money to do it for that price. Raise the price of the lambs by $1,000 and offer free shipping within a 100 mile radius if someone buys the whole group.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Millstone Farm
Old Hand

Postby Millstone Farm » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:15 am

So you wouldn't think hauling them 338miles would be a good idea?

Wayne Webb
Millstone Farm
Chipley, FL

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:55 am

It's fine if you get paid for it. People have gotten used to "free" shipping on stuff they buy on the internet, so I was suggesting that you do what internet retailers do: increase the price and make shipping free.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Return to “Markets and marketing”