Easter market spike?

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
creeksidelc
Old Hand

Easter market spike?

Postby creeksidelc » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:34 pm

With Easter being April 5 this year and also some additional Passover holidays later in April does anyone have any idea on what would be the best time to sell some small lambs 45-60 lbs? Right now that size is bringing 2.40-2.80 a lb but I have suspicions it will rise then fall rapidly after these holidays. I am thinking of taking some of my ram lambs to the sale on mar 31. Will that be too close to the holidays or should the market stay strong into April? I know this is a general question with lots of variables and some unknown with the market but I was hoping on some predictions from more experienced people than myself. Thanks in advance.

Ballymena Sheep
Familiar Face

Re: Easter market spike?

Postby Ballymena Sheep » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:51 pm

The auction we take our lambs to (Woodburn, Oregon) has the support of a strong, varied ethnic market, and this time of year sheep generally stay up past Easter through the sale immediately before Cinco de Mayo. This past season, after Cinco de Mayo the price dropped so quick it made my head spin. I don't know how your area is so don't know if this helps.

Lynn

Justin-PA

Postby Justin-PA » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:32 pm

in the Northeast we typically see prices building up thru Greek Orthodox Easter, and then a steady decline until summer where prices usually bottom out. But every year is different. In general you probably won't lose much by waiting until just after Easter...but don't wait too long.

On 45 lb lambs I am generally guaranteed at least $140 if they are fat/milkfed/healthy/ bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. If you do the math that's $3.11/lb LW. Higher weights bring more money...I get paid on head-on hanging weight, and almost all my lambs end up in New York City butcher shops for the Greek Easter rush. There never seems to be enough 45-60 lb lambs around here to fill buyers orders for Easter.

Ballymena Sheep
Familiar Face

Postby Ballymena Sheep » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:44 am

I have to correct something I said- I just discovered that Cinco de Mayo was about the same time as the Eastern Easter last year, which could very well account for why things dived immediately after Cinco de Mayo. A lady who got a high price for dorper lambs just before Cinco de Mayo told me last year that's how the market goes at Woodburn (lots of Hispanics). Also the auction report for that sale showed them high through the sale immediately prior to Cinco de Mayo. Since I had always believed it depended on the date for Easter, I was happy to see it had varied, not knowing about the second Easter. Now I'm thinking there's a huge chance she was wrong about Cinco de Mayo being the reason for the price staying up until then. So if you are close to an auction with lots of Hispanics, don't gamble that direction.
Lynn

creeksidelc
Old Hand

Postby creeksidelc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. That helps a lot. I believe the second Easter is April 20 this year and obviously cinco de mayo is early May so I might be good to sell mid April. We do have a strong Hispanic market here in central Texas so that should help keep me t up a little longer.

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:13 pm

Lamb prices are going crazy at New Holland right now. This from yesterday's report:

Hd range ave range ave
18 150-200 175 290.00-315.00 298.33 Hair Sheep

That's right, boys and girls. $3 per pound for 175 pound lambs.

Is that a cliff I see up ahead?
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

IowaDave
Old Hand

Postby IowaDave » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:39 am

Dang, Bill, that's pricey for a lamb approaching it's birthday.

Our local market, Kalona, showed lambs in that weight class running from 112-126/cwt.

Somebody is making a boatload of change buying midwest lambs and running them east.......
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

Island Shepherd
Old Hand

Postby Island Shepherd » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:45 pm

The prices here Monday were way up there. No doubt due to New Holland. We are sold out so can only watch from the sidelines. Maybe time to scour the countryside.

billbeaman
Newcomer

Postby billbeaman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:00 pm

We got $1.33/# for 135# wooled lambs in Southern Iowa yesterday.

Return to “Markets and marketing”