Flying lambs

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
Ballymena Sheep
Familiar Face

Flying lambs

Postby Ballymena Sheep » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:58 am

A year or two ago I called many, many FedEx numbers to ask about shipping a couple of lambs by air (Romanovs two or three months old). The first one said it wasn't their department, and gave me the number for someone who they said handled that. The exact same thing happened when I called the number they gave me, and so on, and so on. Eventually I got to voicemail instead of a live human, left my number, and the call wasn't returned. I quit too easily on that one (shame on me). I'm ready to try again. I already understand that to go over state borders either by land or air, the lambs would need scrapie premise I.D. tags, a vet visit for the health certificate and an import certificate (for the proper state) which the vet would supply by calling the proper USDA office, which would expire within a matter of weeks after being issued. I had already called the vet to check the costs for the health check and paperwork. But I got stymied when it came to getting info from the airline for the next steps and costs. I want to try again to get the info, but thought it might work a lot better if somebody on the forum knows the RIGHT number to call, and/or who might fly lambs besides FedEx (if they even will take lambs). The first number I called last time was listed on the FedEx site as the number to call to ship live animals, which is why it was so frustrating to keep getting referred to yet one more phone number, and eventually dead-ending at voicemail. I have emailed a couple of breeders on the other side of the country in the past to see if they would sell me a couple of lambs and airship them to me, and didn't get an answer. If I could tell them who and how to do it, maybe they would. Also, I have people in other states wanting to buy lambs from me and needing them shipped. Thanks for any help.

Lynn

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Re: Flying lambs

Postby Janet McNally » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:21 pm

Here in Minnesota, I use Delta airlines. They take all kinds of animals. One of the times I was shipping a puppy, someone picked up some live Maine lobsters! There are also other airlines that are dedicated to shipping pets. Check with some dog breeders and you should get a good idea who to use.

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota

Ballymena Sheep
Familiar Face

Re: Flying lambs

Postby Ballymena Sheep » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:42 pm

Thank you, Janet.

Return to “Markets and marketing”