Increasing Lamb Popularity and Use

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
Salt Air Shepherd
Newcomer

Re: Increasing Lamb Popularity and Use

Postby Salt Air Shepherd » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:59 am

I like the idea of having a grassroots style revival of domestic lamb, serving your existing customer base and sampling them on new things. We now have a custom slaughterhouse in our county run by a young guy and his step father, they do a good job and have a nice outfit. The trend is slowly picking up as folks are finding options to explore in locally raised food.

At this point I am still building a small flock and tinkering with different genetics and husbandry styles while I learn what I am doing. I have mostly hair sheep now but have purchased some NCC ewes and need to pick them up next weekend.

When I started raising hogs again, I had to do this until I came up with genetics that I knew tasted good enough to wow people and also thrive in my little system, which does not pamper the hog in any way, if you know what I mean.

Saffronsheepranch
Old Hand

Re: Increasing Lamb Popularity and Use

Postby Saffronsheepranch » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:44 am

Hey Salt Air shepherd, my parents live just below you in mobjack bay. I could take that little 3 road bridge to see you when I get out there sometime.
This week my parents found sheep at their place. They don't know where they came from or where they went. She tried to herd them a little for some reason after they were there for awhile but they were intent on their direction.
Kirsten Wendt
Missouri

Return to “Markets and marketing”