Meat display at farmer's market

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
hiddenpasture
Familiar Face

Meat display at farmer's market

Postby hiddenpasture » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:06 am

I am looking for ideas for displaying meat at farmer's market. We sell cheese, lamb, and beef. We always sample our cheese so its its the first thing people see and usually buy. Despite adequate signage and photos, customers don't seem to understand that we also sell meat. On cooler days, I will display a package or two of meat and we sell a lot more. I've seen homemade wooden boxes with plexiglass covers that you put ice in to display the meat in. Does anyone have other ideas? I don't want to put my coolers out in front and have people go through them, I'm interested in display options.

Fiona

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Re: Meat display at farmer's market

Postby Bill Fosher » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Signage and a price list with a heading in bold letters stating "On Hand Today!" does the trick for me. If you have access to electricity, you could consider one of those small, glass fronted freezers that you sometimes see in corner stores with ice cream novelties in them. But they are crazy expensive.

The best thing I have ever done for sales was sampling sausage.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Return to “Markets and marketing”