Cast Tup Sale - Bob Calves

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
Island Shepherd
Old Hand

Cast Tup Sale - Bob Calves

Postby Island Shepherd » Thu May 29, 2014 7:54 am

I was just pleasantly surprised to send some spent tups to the sale, and have them bring up to $155. They weren't anything special either after just coming through winter.

Bob dairy calves are going for record amounts. A friend had one fetch close to $400 for a week old Holstein calf! Must be due to the low beef numbers nationwide, and they want anything they can get to grow out? Usually you are lucky to give away a dairy bull calf.

Island Shepherd
Old Hand

Re: Cast Tup Sale - Bob Calves

Postby Island Shepherd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:49 am

The high prices have held up. The one calf was an aberration but I saw another sheet where lots of them were $280 - $300+. Crazy for dairy bull calves. Good for the dairy farmers.

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:30 pm

Milk hit an all time high this spring too.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Sugar Creek
Old Hand

Postby Sugar Creek » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:19 pm

I attended a special sale for heavy bred cows and cows and calves last Friday at the local sale barn. One local lady was selling out her herd and the cows with 200 pound calves at their side were bringing 2,300 to 2,400 dollars right down the line. These prices make you feel a little uneasy they are so high.
Several of the more common sort of cows with baby calves were being split - the cow immediately resold for slaughter and the calf kept - generally at a cost to the buyer of $300 to $350.
All spring baby calves showing nice beef breeding have been bringing close to $400 a head.
I have a Jersey cow that I always put an extra calf or two on. Most dairymen did not have any for sale and were being worried by buyers constantly wanting Holstein bull calves at $250 a head. I got lucky and finally found one at $200 and brought it home and stopped looking for more.

I would hope these high prices for cattle (and the current high prices for hogs) would be supportive for lambs this summer and fall. I am not sure what the correlation is.
Fred

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:18 am

Theoretically, when other proteins rise, so should lamb. But the trends have followed fairly normal patterns at New Holland this spring and so far this summer. Prices there remain higher than what people in the Midwest and West, but they are not following beef into the stratosphere.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

MRPittman
Old Hand

Postby MRPittman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:18 pm

Cow calf pairs hit over 3,000 a pair here yesterday at local sale. We sold cull cow she weighed 1345 and brought 1410.00. We buy baby calves in the spring, have 5 jersey nurse cows. Tough to find many "deals", paid as high as 450.00. Last week bought nice Hereford heifer calf for 250.00. So far have 16 average 360.00 per head. Last week on video auction 452 lb calves brought 2.75 per pound. Lambs are just starting to move, mostly feeders 60 to 90 lb range going over 2.00 lb

MRPittman
Old Hand

Postby MRPittman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:21 pm

Baby calves locally brought as high as 750.00 this was for 1 to 3 week olds, beef type, predominantly angus.

Return to “Markets and marketing”