Wool sales

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
blucreek
Newcomer

Wool sales

Postby blucreek » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:25 pm

I received a check today from Mid-States Wool Growers Cooperative for the wool from 15 ewes which were shorn in the spring of 2013. My shearer takes the wool and I get a check at the end of the year. The ewes were 1/2 Romanov and 1/2 Western breeding. The Westerns ewes came from the Bighorn Mountain area (Bob Harlan and Steve Raftopoulos Flocks).The Romanov ram originated from MARC & Venard Farms. The receipt listed 59 pounds of white kemp wool @ 0.000 $/lb. for $0.00. Black kemp wool 4 pounds @ $0.000 @$/lb for $0.00. Medium staple 54's, 11 pounds @ 0.800 for $6.00. Medium staple 50/48's, 14 pounds @.480 for $6.72.

I am no way casting any dispersions towards Wool States, I think they are a good and reputable outfit. I really like this cross of sheep for production and hardiness. Is this what I should expect from the Romanov crossbred ewes for wool production and chalk it up to the cost of business with this type of ewe? Thanks!

Return to “Markets and marketing”