Can you compete?

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
Darroll Grant
Old Hand

Can you compete?

Postby Darroll Grant » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:24 am

The local COSTCO has a bunch of lamb legs at $5/#. It will be interesting to see how they move. Their cost be about $4.30.
Darroll Grant
western Oregon

lambchop
Old Hand

Re: Can you compete?

Postby lambchop » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:53 am

AU. legs?
Paul Lewis
White Dorpers with Lambplan EBV's
www.whitedorper.com

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:42 pm

I can compete. Not based on price, but in other ways. I doubt I'll lose a single sale to COSTCO.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Tom Nichols
Old Hand

Postby Tom Nichols » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:15 am

Can they compete? Spiral sliced ham is $1.68 at Shop-n-cart. The shank end was $1.18. Walmart and ostco probably sell them even cheaper.
Why revel in a race to the bottom? Being a loss leader for a supermarket chain can't be a good thing. I bet there aren't 300 sows within 300 miles.Look what two for one milk, that was the norm for so many years, did to the dairy industry.
Last I heard, Aus was way down in sheep numbers.Can they really make it selling Costco lamb?
Tom
Tom Nichols
Lebanon, Oregon

Darroll Grant
Old Hand

Postby Darroll Grant » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:15 pm

China is becoming a significant lamb and beef market for Australia. No US beef going that way. Sheep are significantly cheaper in Oz than here. Running age ewes at 60-100 ea and feeder wt lambs 65-85/head.
Darroll Grant

western Oregon

Return to “Markets and marketing”