New Holland Question

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
Evans & Evans Farm
Familiar Face

New Holland Question

Postby Evans & Evans Farm » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:12 pm

I have 16 spring born wethers which I'm considering taking to New Holland next week but I'm nervous about market demand on the Monday before Xmas. Are buyers likely to come out so close to the Holyday? Will there be a surfeit of lamb due to the irritatingly persistent and early winter that's playing havoc with our late grazing and our marketing plans? Are the packers likely to be in the market, or do they take the whole Xmas/New Year period off? Are slaughter houses overloaded, quiet or dysfunctional over this period?
I've never used New Holland before so your advice and opinions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Joe Evans
Patterson, NY
Joe Evans
Patterson, NY

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Re: New Holland Question

Postby Bill Fosher » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:04 am

Joe many years ago I was told to hold off until the week between Christmas and New Years, not so much because demand would be up but supply would be way, way, way down. Don't know if that's still true.

I followed the advice and it made me look like a hero. Back in 1992 or 3, I bought a pair of ewe lambs. They were F1 Finn-Dorset crosses. I paid the unspeakable sum of $75 each for them. Gretchen made it to 14 years old, produced 34 lambs in her lifetime, including a set of quads in her 13th year (she only raised two of them), and when I shipped her I got a check back for $115. Even my wife had to admit that I had gotten that one right. Now if I could have made it work that well with the other couple of thousand ewes I've owned over the years, I'd be all set.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Justin-PA

Re: New Holland Question

Postby Justin-PA » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:46 am

Joe,
It's a tough call for sure. There could be some buyers there really hurting for Christmas lambs but that is an awful short time to get them bought, shipped, slaughtered and delivered. And I assume these spring wethers are good size (like 100+ pounds) then they won't be what is in highest demand anyway. I think Bill's idea is good, wait a week. Either way you should get good money for your lambs. Supply was up this week and prices were strong for all classes...

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ln_ls322.txt

Return to “Markets and marketing”