Figuring out a price

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
hammond shepherd
Old Hand

Re: Figuring out a price

Postby hammond shepherd » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Bill, thank you for sharing your direct marketing experiences. And Cody, I appreciate your stats on cooler shrink. It makes sense, I just never thought about it.

cjhiemke wrote:Next year I'm contemplating offering a deal to my repeat customers wherein if they bring me another customer they'll get their lamb for $3.75. I like the idea of rewarding my repeat customers, and I think it would be a good way to use word of mouth to get repeat customers.

I was thinking of a similar promotion, but rather than reduce the price/lb instead offering $5 or $10 dollar appreciation discount off the final price.

cjhiemke wrote:if they are sired by Harvey they should be better tasting!

Taste test in a few weeks between Harvey's lambs and the Siremax lambs. It should be interesting, as all the lambs are looking good, but Harvey's lambs surprise me by being 10-20 lbs heavier than I guess just by looking at them.

pschloss wrote: Can anyone recommend a reference with a list of considerations to remind me what and how to count up the capital/operating expenses? Depreciation on tractor, breeding stock, etc

I suggest your state's extension website as the place to look, they are sometimes referred to as 'enterprise budgets'.

Return to “Markets and marketing”