how to ship frozen lamb

A place to discuss where and how to market our products. Users can share experiences with value-added enterprises, ask for information on costs, and find out who's paying what for what kind of lambs.
NOTE: If you have a service or product to advertise, please see the Marketplace section below.
Scottsville
Familiar Face

how to ship frozen lamb

Postby Scottsville » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:06 am

Does anyone have experience with overnight delivery of frozen lamb? We have had calls from out of state requesting lamb. I understand the commercial shippers will deliver overnight, but I am not really sure about packaging, quantity of dry ice etc… Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks.
Charlie in VA

dhibbeln
Old Hand

Re: how to ship frozen lamb

Postby dhibbeln » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:26 pm

my wife just shipped a frozen cheese cake from nyc to st. louis.
took 3 days due to storm over holidays.
she built a styrofoam box and filled it with salt water in plastic coke bottles
and the frozen cheese cake (frozen in a chest freezer).

darn cheese cake and coke bottles were still frozen three days later.
however, this was shipped during cold weather.

regards,
dave h
NE of Albany, NY & 1,543 ft from VT
Dall Hollow Farms
Texas Dalls & they're NOT goats!
home of the "stotting" lambs

Northfield
Old Hand

Postby Northfield » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:43 pm

I ship a whole, cut-and-wrapped, frozen lamb from an island in WA state (add an extra day) to SE Ohio once a year. I pack it in paper, packed as tightly as possible in a styrofoam-lined box. I've fabricated a box of the correct size, if needed. Sent priority mail via USPS, it's always arrived in 3 days with essentially no thawing. I only ship in winter. Cost is reasonable. Overnight shipping is $200+. I'm shipping lamb to family, so stakes are fairly low.

We've shipped small amounts of pork & lamb from WA to AZ overnight. $$$, but the buyer willingly paid, and it made it through Phoenix summer heat just fine.
Ben
Northfield Farm
*Grass-Fed Lamb & Pastured Poultry*

hewittfarm
Old Hand

Postby hewittfarm » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:59 pm

I have shipped some lamb and lots of frozen beef UPS or Fedx in special boxes ( http://www.rncind.com/index.php?page=co ... mp-classic ) . I only take orders that can be delivered overnight which for me includes almost all of New England and eastern NY state. A call to you shipper with the zip code will get you the answer about the delivery date. The boxes cost around $15 and the delivery around $20 to most addresses. In summer I pack the meat in a box marked Frozen food in big letters that has been in the freezer overnight and then store the packed box in the freezer until I am ready to drop it off at the shipper. For while I added some co2 "snow" on top of the meat if it was real hot out but doubt it was needed. I usually time it so that I get it to the drop off point about an hour or so before it gets picked up. In winter those precautions are not needed . The only problem I ever had was in summer which was the result of a mix up on the address where the driver kept it overnight and delivered it the day after. The meat was partly unfrozen and probably alright but I told the customer to keep it and sent a replacement box.

The boxes are real nice and shipped knocked down. You can specify the insulation thickness you want, we used 1".
Rod Hewitt
Katahdin & White Dorper sheep
WWW.Dayspringfarm.com
Bellows Falls VT 05101
802-376-5474

Scottsville
Familiar Face

Postby Scottsville » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks for the responses. Apparently, it is not as difficult as I had thought.
Charlie in VA

Return to “Markets and marketing”