Impact of Accelerated Lambing Schedule on Lambing Percentage

A place to exchange ideas, stories, and to solve problems related to breeding the flock and delivering lambs.
David
Familiar Face

Impact of Accelerated Lambing Schedule on Lambing Percentage

Postby David » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:33 pm

How much of a decrease in lambing percentage can be expected in a hair sheep flock that is running an approximately 220% lambing percentage, and goes from lambing once a year to lambing every eight months?

Mike Wallace
Old Hand

Re: Impact of Accelerated Lambing Schedule on Lambing Percentage

Postby Mike Wallace » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:27 am

Depends on the timing of the breeding periods-weaning, ewe age, the genetics of your ewe flock and ram(s), use/not of exogenous hormones, relative location of breeding ewes and rams when not in breeding, your location in the world, ability to provide artificial light stimulation, results could vary significantly if you are running -20 ewes or 100+, and many more variables. I.e., More details needed

David
Familiar Face

Postby David » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:03 pm

Were talking about 1600 ewes. Hair sheep, so minimal seasonal effect. No hormones used to assist cyclicity. I'm just looking for a rough guess, nothing exact. How many less lambs from a ewe lambing every eight months?

Mike Wallace
Old Hand

Postby Mike Wallace » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:39 pm

What location? What specific breed(s)? Any Romanov breeding? Age of weaning? Breeding/lambing months?

Saffronsheepranch
Old Hand

Postby Saffronsheepranch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:43 pm

I should think feed would matter a lot also.
Probably 1 less. Maybe 2 less the longer you do it. And some of that would possibly be occasional misses.

I don't think this person can be up north. I don't think anyone up north with 1600 hair sheep would ask such a question.
I could not get my ewes to Fall lamb in SD without artificial help but then I moved to Missouri and no problem! Same ewes. Hair sheep are not miraculous hot stuff breeders- not more than Finnsheep. Put them in the north and they will turn out like everybody else except a bit colder and burning more calories trying to stay warm. I have hair sheep too. They don't outperform my finnsheep/Tunis. My Tunis ram though, may outperform most sheep breeds. He can breed consistently in well over 90 degrees, which he will be starting tomorrow. No amount of heat or humidity slows him down.
Kirsten Wendt
Missouri

David
Familiar Face

Postby David » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:26 am

Saffronsheepranch wrote:I should think feed would matter a lot also.
Probably 1 less. Maybe 2 less the longer you do it. And some of that would possibly be occasional misses.

I don't think this person can be up north. I don't think anyone up north with 1600 hair sheep would ask such a question.
I could not get my ewes to Fall lamb in SD without artificial help but then I moved to Missouri and no problem! Same ewes. Hair sheep are not miraculous hot stuff breeders- not more than Finnsheep. Put them in the north and they will turn out like everybody else except a bit colder and burning more calories trying to stay warm. I have hair sheep too. They don't outperform my finnsheep/Tunis. My Tunis ram though, may outperform most sheep breeds. He can breed consistently in well over 90 degrees, which he will be starting tomorrow. No amount of heat or humidity slows him down.

Good Guess! I am in central Californian. The ewes show some seasonality, but we lamb year round.

And thankyou for your estimate.

David
Familiar Face

Postby David » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:32 am

Mike Wallace wrote:What location? What specific breed(s)? Any Romanov breeding? Age of weaning? Breeding/lambing months?

Central California. KhatahdinX (Some St. Croix, Dorper) No Romanov. Weaned at two months. Breed back at one month later. Lambing year round.

Mike Wallace
Old Hand

Postby Mike Wallace » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:30 pm

So, you are planning to lamb in every month? Or, are you planning to lamb in say, Jan. May and Sept.?

David
Familiar Face

Postby David » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:52 pm

We have been lambing every month, but currently moving to every other.

Mike Wallace
Old Hand

Postby Mike Wallace » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:59 pm

Every other month is near equivalent to the "Star System". Go to Cornel Univ. site and search for "Star Lambing System", and reports on the production resulte. They may/may not be online-piublished-analyzed, but they did work that may give you some insight to your question(s).

Saffronsheepranch
Old Hand

Postby Saffronsheepranch » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Wow. You lamb every month? When you have time, I would love to hear how you manage 1600 ewes in year round lambing. And now you wish to complicate your life further by adding a lambing for each of them. I am truly impressed!

I know a person the Star system worked well for. He does not have nearly the numbers you do but his sheep business entirely paid for a pretty nice farm in Ohio and he only sold fats. He is quite good at what he does. If you would like to talk to someone who has done it, let me know.

kirsten
Kirsten Wendt
Missouri

David
Familiar Face

Postby David » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Kirsten - be glad to talk to you. You are welcome to message me privately.

DonDrewry
Old Hand

Postby DonDrewry » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 am

I used to lamb my Polypays on an accelerated program
- The number of lambs born per ewe was always lowest in the fall and usually highest in the spring.
- Fall lambing ewes always bred for spring lambing
- Winter lambing ewes sometimes bred for fall lambing but not always
- Ewes that lambed in the winter had the same lambing percentage regardless if they had lambed 7 or 12 months before, the prolific ewes had triplets and quads in the winter and spring, the less prolific ewes tended to have twins with occasional triplets
- We kept the ewes in pretty good condition
Don Drewry

David
Familiar Face

Postby David » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Thankyou Don, that is very interesting. If I am understanding you right, as long as seasonality is accounted for, you see no decrease in lambing percentage with an accelerated program?

Return to “Breeding and lambing”