Fever reducer

A place to exchange ideas, stories, and to solve problems related to breeding the flock and delivering lambs.
Hilmar
Old Hand

Fever reducer

Postby Hilmar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:06 pm

One of my lambs is running a fever (105.5). I presume pneumonia. I gave her a dose of penicillin (should I be using LA200 instead --the local vet never is interested in giving me Nuflor), but I want to do more about the fever. One site said that I could give acetaminophen and gave the dosage, so I did. Subsequently i read that it should never be given to lambs. I guess I need to find some over the counter remedy (I have some long expired banamine, but I worry about injecting a low enough dose for a 25 pound lamb.

Suggestions?
Mark

denice
Old Hand

Re: Fever reducer

Postby denice » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:57 pm

I have only used banamine or the generic for pain or fever. It sure helps them feel better fast. If he were mine I would give 1/2 cc if over 25 lbs, a but less if under.
As to antibiotics I feel Nuflor is the better choice of the three, might get away with pen but multiple days in a row required. at least 5 days I would think if just pen. Nuflor works better for me. IF not Nuflor then ask him what your options are - he should be able to recommend something besides LA or Pen or find another who can

I do not mix meds without a consult to vet so tend to go big guns right off instead of dinking with something for days to find it is not working.

Linda Poole
Old Hand

Postby Linda Poole » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:44 am

My vet prescribes flunixin (aka Banamine, Prevail, and who knows what other brand names) as part of treatment for about any elevated temperature illness, like pneumonia. The great thing about flunixin is that in addition to being a painkiller, it reduces inflammation, and combats endotoxins that can complicate the original infectious agent. Dosage is on the label, and can be adjusted to any weight of sheep. It's worth having some one cc syringes and 20 gauge 1/2 inch needles on hand so you can accurately dose down to 0.10 cc for baby lambs.

Expired drugs are worth discussing with a trusted veterinarian. Expiry dates matter more with some meds than others.

My vet usually prescribes Nuflor or Draxxin (preferred) along with the flunixin. My cattle ranching neighbors use Resflor, which combines florfenicol (Nuflor) with flunixin (Banamine). I think many sheep people are finding that a call to Pipestone Vet (https://www.pipevet.com/contact_us.asp) is useful in situations like this -- they have a lot of experience with sheep and can dispense a more appropriate antibiotic to fit the symptoms you are seeing. Before you call them, make sure you've got answers to the types of questions they are apt to ask about symptoms (including the lamb's temperature, respirations, lung sounds (buy a cheap stethoscope) etc.).

If it is pneumonia, supportive therapy is sometimes as important as the drugs: get the lamb to a place where there is absolutely no smell of ammonia (pneumonia thrives on ammonia), where there is fresh air but no drafts, put a lamb coat on if it under 50 degrees F, make sure the little fella is fed and hydrated. I like to give some oral probiotics whenever I give antibiotics or flunixin, the keep the lamb's digestion working well.

Good luck, Mark.

Hilmar
Old Hand

Postby Hilmar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Evidently the Tylenol didn't kill her, and the ten year old banamine did some good. I just checked and she was alone in the barn, but her temp was back down to 102.7. I'll continue with the penicillin for a few days more, but it seems that she's well onto the way to recovery. As I finished, her mom came to claim her, and the two headed out to the pasture together.

Thanks for the help.
Mark

MRPittman
Old Hand

Postby MRPittman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Draxxin is very effective for various sheep ailments and would be our first choice for lamb pneumonia. Advantage being that it is given as one dose, small volume. Some think it expensive (my daughter still shudders at the rancher who dropped his $2500.00 bottle) but for the relative small dose, 1cc per 110 lbs, and one time treatment, it is tops on our list, upon recommendation of our veterinarian.

DonDrewry
Old Hand

Postby DonDrewry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:36 pm

We would use Banamine and Nuflor. The Banamine IMO is supportive of an effective antibiotic. La200 is moderately effective for pneumonia for us but we have to start it early. For us Penicillin and spit are equally effective on Pneumonia
Don Drewry

Hilmar
Old Hand

Postby Hilmar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:58 am

It seems that the penicillin (at a high dose) has done the trick. I have one more dose to go, and the lamb is tougher to catch each day. Unless I could get Draxxin or Nuflor by the dose (even if the vet would see value in prescribing one of them), they are both cost prohibitive. I have had three cases of pneumonia in the last ten years, and I have to believe their shelf life is significantly less that that.
Mark

MRPittman
Old Hand

Postby MRPittman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:43 pm

Our veterinarian will dispense any size dose needed. $4.95 per cc, 1/10 cc for average size young lamb, .495 cents. One time catching and treatment, good value for us as it has worked very well in our herd.

Return to “Breeding and lambing”