Dog Took Chicken!

Discussion of the training, use, and management of guard dogs, guard llamas, guard donkeys, guard goldfish, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike Wallace
Old Hand

Dog Took Chicken!

Postby Mike Wallace » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:52 am

Pyrenees fixed bitch, about 4 years old has been a super good dog. People friendly, but seems to stay with the stock very well, and no predator losses.
Normally, she stays in the field with the stock which moves around over a mile, or so area. Yesterday afternoon she followed us up by the house where we have a few chickens. A little later I caught her heading back to the pasture carrying a hen. She came up to me, and let me take the seemingly unharmed (except for missing feathers) hen from her mouth.
I scolded, and fired some warning shots at her, and she went back to the stock pasture.
What's with this apparent change in behavior?
Did I do the right thing by scolding and scaring her?
Any suggestions?

Secuono
Familiar Face

Re: Dog Took Chicken!

Postby Secuono » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:16 pm

She brought it to you so by then, too late and taught her not to bring it to you.
you can shoot right when you see her go after it or carrying it off.
might be something missing in diet or hen is sick/injured and she's getting rid of it before it attracts predators. Mine stops them from fighting with each other, maybe she did that?
Forever-Farms.com
Babydoll Southdown Sheep

denice
Old Hand

Postby denice » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:27 am

I had a pyr bring up a fawn from who knows where one spring and place it in a small wooded area not far from the sheep. I saw him carrying something in his mouth but didn't think to much of it in the morning. That evening I heard bleeting and knew it was not a lamb and went to investigate. There was the fawn perfectly fine unharmed but hungry I am sure and not to happy about a ldg barking at it. I put the dog in a kennel overnight and left the fawn hoping its mom would find it by morning. No such luck so I brought it up next morning and bottle fed it and called a wildlife rescue group.

If he had wanted to kill it and eat it the fawn would have been dead. Why did he carry across the field to place it where he did?? I have no idea. Did he find it alone and was bringing to his flock? He has always been great with lambs.

LDG like things were they think they are supposed to be. Mine when young have always kept a "Stash" of items they find. Maybe she just was taking the hen closer to the sheep? If her intent was to kill it I would think she would taken care of that right away but there is no way to know.

I would sure make certain you can still call her and catch her the next few days and reward her for coming to you. She may associate the scolding and gun shots with her coming which will make it harder for you to have her give you anything next time.

Mike Wallace
Old Hand

Postby Mike Wallace » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:55 am

Two+ weeks later:
Dog seems fine, and as friendly as ever. Chicken seems fine.
No harm, no fowl. :)

In retrospect, I had been giving this dog an occasional egg on top of dry feed. I wonder if she was interested in starting her own layer flock for more regular eggs.

lambchop
Old Hand
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby lambchop » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 am

Mike,
Need a laugh today, very funny!
Paul Lewis
White Dorpers with Lambplan EBV's
www.whitedorper.com

Return to “Guardian animals”