Kangals used to protect goats from Cheetahs

Discussion of the training, use, and management of guard dogs, guard llamas, guard donkeys, guard goldfish, etc.
Tomas
Familiar Face
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kangals used to protect goats from Cheetahs

Postby Tomas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:27 pm

The leader, in the video, simply asked that the government build a couple bridges. He thought the tribe could continue to ford the smaller streams. I hope in the meantime the bridges have been built. Does anybody know whether the migration is still being made?

In the sequence crossing the pass in the mountains, check-out the footwear the women are wearing. Not much. One woman is carrying her shoes, or a shoe in her hands, walking through the snow.

If I recall correctly, they spend about 3 months of every year making the journey and back again. Incredible people and wonderful video. -- Tomas
Last edited by Tomas on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:13 am

considering earlier discussions on how LGDs were fed, I would think that the dogs on that migration subsist on a diet of carcasses scraps, and whey.

Janet

Shayan
Old Hand
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Shayan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi all--sorry for the lack of response on my part this last week. I was on a ranch tour near Walsenburg, CO, then working on my data analysis. That area of Colorado's had 5 inches of rain for a few years now, and it's starting to look like the Sahara.

The liquid in the goatskin bags is milk or sometimes yogurt or kefir, which can also be churned for a different texture of butter.

I'm glad you liked the videos!

The migration is still ongoing, though to a lesser extent, and some of it is now mechanized for some families who own enough large vehicles.

Regarding Middle Eastern LGDs and wolves, the Urbigkit ranch near Pinedale has a pack nearby right now. They've lost only 9 sheep, and their Akbash and Central Asian Ovcharka dogs killed two of the wolves. One of the dogs is badly wounded, so if anyone feels like sending positive thoughts their way I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Return to “Guardian animals”