Another litter is here!

Discussion of the training, use, and management of guard dogs, guard llamas, guard donkeys, guard goldfish, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
pastora
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Another litter is here!

Postby pastora » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:36 pm

These just came this morning.....out of my Pyr/Tatra/SRM Lovetree lines female....and my badger colored Pyr male. Now I think the dark colors must be throwback to the SRM on mammas side because even my badger pyr wasn't this dark. So far at 3 m 3 f...with maybe one or two left to come...momma is doing great....!

lovetree
Old Hand

Re: Another litter is here!

Postby lovetree » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:02 pm

You say that you have a LoveTree bred female, I dont remember selling a dog to you, where did you get here from?
Mary Falk / LoveTree Farmstead
home of the dual purpose Trade Lake Sheep and the nationally celebrated Trade Lake Cedar Cheese
NW Wisconsin

pastora

Postby pastora » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Paloma came from Mary Pettis Sarley in California, who had Atlas who was a Pedro son....she has bred several litters out of him, including recently to a Kangal
female, sister to mine. She says those pups are fantastic. She said he (son of Pedro) was best dog she ever had. He recently passed. I bought Paloma and Pilar from her, in a trade for some Kangals....Pilar her sister is a brindle (gray) - solid. Paloma came out white. They are granddaughters of Pedro. Pilar is on a ranch in Fernley, NV now. The Tatra really shows in Paloma in her work style and looks. The colors of these pups really threw me. The dad, my Pyr Peso, is a badger Pyr and has black edged ears but NOT this dark, not at all. So my guess what the SRM must have came through in the coloring. :?: :?: :?: I dunno...! Some of them are marked almost identical to my Pyrenean Mastiffs. lAnd deep black ears and faces. Anyhow have high hopes for them, mamma is a little worker bee, so is dad even if he is a big lumpus....lol.

lovetree
Old Hand

Postby lovetree » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi Brenda,

I just want to clarify the breeding of this litter since there is no Great Pyrenees in the LoveTree bloodlines,...

the dam of your litter is my Pedro's granddaughter, and she is :

half Great Pyrenees ( on her dam's side), and 1/4 Spanish Ranch Mastiff, 1/8 Tatra and 1/8 Maremma (on her sires' side).

And then you crossed her to your GP so that this resulting litter is 3/4 Great Pyrenees. .1/8 SRM, 1/16 Tatra, 1/16 Maremma....do I have that correct?

I am not familiar with your livestock operation, are you running goats or sheep?

home of the dual purpose Trade Lake Sheep and the nationally celebrated Trade Lake Cedar Cheese

NW Wisconsin

MonsterMalak
Familiar Face

Postby MonsterMalak » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Pastora,
I have heard about your Guardian Dogs all the way over here in Texas. The people swear by them! What makes your dogs go getters, as they say. Could it be Hybrid Vigor? They are the biggest Pyrenees types I have seen. Great job, whatever you are doing!!! Would like to compare notes one day.

Looking4ewes
Old Hand

Postby Looking4ewes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:22 am

I have never understood the focus on coat color when connected to working dogs. Does coat color matter in LDGs? There are some off-colors I don't like in border collies, but that is a personal preference.
Wendy Villarreal

Paul DeWitte
Old Hand

Postby Paul DeWitte » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:40 am

looking 4 ewes, I think if you read the last 3 words ( a letter and 2 words) of your post,you have your answer.

Paul

Kathy Lewis
Old Hand

Postby Kathy Lewis » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:42 am

Kathy Lewis
White Dorpers with Lambplan EBVs
www.whitedorper.com

Laura L.
Old Hand

Postby Laura L. » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:06 pm

pastora

Coat color, size etc....

Postby pastora » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:38 pm

It is my opinion, that we need to study the dog/wolf interaction before concluding that the problem was that the dog was not big enough or tough enough. There very well might be other behavioral factors that contribute to the loss of a dog, or it might be purely circumstantial. One question I have, is are the dogs that are killed by wolves not tough enough? or, are they the dogs that do not have a sense of self preservation and entered into physical confrontation that another dog might have avoided? i.e. it very well could be the dogs with a junk yard guard mentality that are more likely to get killed. I don't know if it is possible for the sheep industry to formulate a survey, maybe with the help of a biologist, to collect what might be some important information.

Janet

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:58 pm

while some male wolves can reach 150+ lbs, the average pack member is more like 90 lbs. Females are smaller as are the younger pack members.

Janet

Darroll Grant
Old Hand

Postby Darroll Grant » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:08 pm

I would suggest that size is somewhat dependent upon the area of the country the wolves or coyotes come from. Midwestern white tail deer are much bigger than Texas white tails so why should all wolves be the same weight from Yellowstone to the Great Lakes?
Darroll Grant
western Oregon

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Darroll, according the the international wolf center, http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/basic/ ... pecies.asp the plains wolf of the Great Lakes ranges 60 to 110 pounds, and the Rocky Mountain Wolf ranges 85 to 115 pounds. While you can find reports of larger wolves for both subspecies on tourist sites, I trust the IWC because I know that they utilize biologists to review their educational material. Their Plains wolf information also agrees with Dr. Mech's book, the wolves of Minnesota. I also found several reports that the 188 wolves shot in Idaho weighed just under 100 lbs.

Janet

lovetree
Old Hand

Postby lovetree » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:14 pm

NW Wisconsin

Return to “Guardian animals”