Socializing family puppy

Discussion of the training, use, and management of guard dogs, guard llamas, guard donkeys, guard goldfish, etc.
Hilmar
Old Hand

Socializing family puppy

Postby Hilmar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:01 am

We are bringing home a new puppy (10-week old German shepherd mix) that will be the family dog. I want him to be socialized with the sheep and get along with our Anatolian/GP mix LGD. Recommendations?
Mark

denice
Old Hand

Re: Socializing family puppy

Postby denice » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:41 pm

I would introduce the pup and guardian away from sheep, both on leashes. The guardian will most likely roll pup, sniff, maybe growl cover pups muzzle with his own mouth... Make sure you know what is normal behavior and allow that to happen.
Not sure how I feel about a pet dog 'being introduced to sheep. I would want the pup old enough to stay with me and enough training to have a drop dead recall before allowing him around sheep without a leash or long line. I would teach the pup that most interaction with sheep is not allowed. That way you don't have to break any bad habits and there is no misunderstanding on what is or is not ok. Staying next to you walking in the pasture might be fine but you will have to guage your sheep and guardian dog's reactions Might be different with a small fu fu breed but a shepherd potentially can kill sheep so care and training need to happen from day 1. You need to treat the pup like he will grow to be an 80 lb dog not like he is a fuzzy cute pup who is to small to do damage

Hilmar
Old Hand

Re: Socializing family puppy

Postby Hilmar » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:26 am

Thanks, Denice. Now I have to actually get the puppy. We have gotten adult shelter dogs in the past, and they have reacted to the sheep in a variety of ways, some were fine, one raced back and forth outside the pasture (sheep learned to ignore him) and another would attack them when possible and lay as in wait for them outside the electric fence when he was loose (he didn't last long here). I'm hoping that with a puppy I can influence the behavior.
Mark

Return to “Guardian animals”