Fast and Furious in Black and White

For discussion of the training and use of sheepdogs on the farm or ranch. Please try to avoid discussion of training for trials or other competition; there are plenty of other groups for that purpose.
denice
Old Hand

Fast and Furious in Black and White

Postby denice » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:34 pm

Lizzy is one of my current projects - my 'keeper' from the last litter. She is super sweet but watch out getting between she and sheep - she is all about it. The young girl is looking good.

My other project is Mae - sister to my Zeva so same way bred as Lizzy. She is coming along, only been here a couple weeks so still settling in. No denying her instinct, she needs to be more thoughtful and backed up a bit off her sheep but she is not ready for much correction just yet. I have a video up of her first and second session in the round pen. She has a way to go but going to be a nice working dog I think. If you are looking for a dog she might be the one, she heels a bit also. http://youtu.be/p87FFWP3Vhc - Clearfield stockdogs - working border collies on you tube

MRPittman
Old Hand

Re: Fast and Furious in Black and White

Postby MRPittman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:46 am

Denice,this may be a dumb question, but is she part heeler?

We got our first Border Collie 4 years ago, were lucky and got a real good pup. From 6 weeks old he had such strong instincts, we just wished we had started with border collies years ago. By trial and error he has survived us being novice dog handlers. My husband brought home a "give-a-way" young dog, supposed to be a Hanging Tree. She paired up with our 1st dog and has also become an important part of sheep handling, just two this fall. This fall along comes an 8 month old rescue who is Border Collie x Blue Heeler. She is coming along, has a lot of "drive".

I don't remember how we ever handled sheep without our canine helpers.

denice
Old Hand

Postby denice » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:55 am

No - all border collie. The thing to keep in mind with registries is most like AKC register and judge a 'good one' by LOOKS alone. They have a breed standard that says how tall, what coat is like, what colors ect that breed should be. The working dog registries like ABCA do not have a breed standard, are more interested in ability so there is a wide variety of colors, coats, sizes on border collies. Years ago you almost never saw a smooth coated one but now they are rather common. Unfortunately the ABCA does not require dogs to pass a herding test like some of the registries in Europe.

Peg Haese

Postby Peg Haese » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:47 pm

MRPittman wrote:Denice,this may be a dumb question, but is she part heeler?

If you are noticing the heavy roaning in the face blaze and other white areas, that's common in some lines of working Border collies and doesn't come from a heeler cross.

Also some lines have heavy ticking (many spots in the white that are slightliy larger than the small flecks for roaning). Our Panda had that.

MRPittman
Old Hand

Postby MRPittman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:31 am

Thank you for the info, have a lot to learn!

Return to “Working stockdogs”