Feed bunk

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
WayneG
Old Hand

Feed bunk

Postby WayneG » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Working on making some new feed bunks. Has anyone ever made the bunk with a "V" bottom instead of flat, I know people have used rounded bottoms. Also what length would you make a free standing bunk. Moving it would not be an issue.
Wayne G
The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want.

high plainsman
Old Hand

Re: Feed bunk

Postby high plainsman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:11 am

I would go with at least 24 inches of feed bunk space per head. I have seen some recommendations for only 18 inches per head, but I found that is too crowded for mature ewes in late pregnancy with a full fleece.

I would think that a V bottom bunk would be hard to clean out if there is a build up of fines etc, and it got wet. I have flat bottom bunks lined with hard plastic sheets. Fairly easy to clean with a fork for hay, or flat bottom shovel to clean fines and leaves. However, when feeding grain, especially whole corn, the grain tends to scatter. The sheep usually can find all of it, but I still prefer to feed the grain in round bottom troughs.

DonDrewry
Old Hand

Postby DonDrewry » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:26 pm

high plainsman wrote:I would go with at least 24 inches of feed bunk space per head. I have seen some recommendations for only 18 inches per head, but I found that is too crowded for mature ewes in late pregnancy with a full fleece.

I would think that a V bottom bunk would be hard to clean out if there is a build up of fines etc, and it got wet. I have flat bottom bunks lined with hard plastic sheets. Fairly easy to clean with a fork for hay, or flat bottom shovel to clean fines and leaves. However, when feeding grain, especially whole corn, the grain tends to scatter. The sheep usually can find all of it, but I still prefer to feed the grain in round bottom troughs.

I think the points are spot on. I'd think a V feeder would greatly increase risk of listeria. I really can't think of an advantage.
Don Drewry

WayneG
Old Hand

Postby WayneG » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:03 pm

Never thought about listeria or the like. Flat bottom it is. I also like the idea of two feet of space. Thanks
Wayne G

The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want.

Return to “Tools of the trade”