fence line feeder

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
greengrazer
Old Hand

fence line feeder

Postby greengrazer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:47 am

Started a fencline feeder project yesterday afternoon. Set 5x5 cedar post squared up on a neighbors mill 10ft apart. 80ft long. (I dont want crowding and want to do it once) This will be outdoors no roof. If i was under roof i would go buy plastic culvert split into.... But if i need to feed and its been raining water would collect in the corugated valleys. My experience with drilled holes is the critters licking mixed with fines clogs the drain holes anyway. I dont want to use treated for feed surfaces because of chemicals. If anyone has any suggestions im listening. I could get my nieghbor to saw more good red cedar, but its a hassle to go cut, get schedules synced, haul over... Etc. Plus i dont like asking favors; i try to stay at a minimum even on favors if not one up. I just need to complete it timely and i figure someone has some insight ive not thought of. I thought i was going to be able to scavenge more large plastic water line pipe but they havent replaced any for some time the scrap pile is empty.

high plainsman
Old Hand

Re: fence line feeder

Postby high plainsman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:52 am

I have used 6 inch plastic drain pipe split in two for grain troughs. These are not fence line feeders, but mounted on wooden stands that can be tipped over to drain collected water. But since you want fence line feeders that probably don't lend themselves to tipping, maybe if you drilled large enough holes for quick draining and plugged them with a relatively close fitting cork that you could remove, but the sheep would have a hard time pulling out with their mouth would be a solution.

greengrazer
Old Hand

Postby greengrazer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:40 am

Thank you and i agree with stand alone feeders that pipe is great. Update- a fellow down the road has a pole barn metal shop so im going to buy scrap strips 10-12 inches wide that have not been pressed. I will use a treated 2x6 and a treated 2x4 so the bottom is 9 inches. Screw the metal liner down beat the edges over with a hammer and screw some sides on. That gives me a smoother surface to sweep out as well as piece of mind they wont be licking on the pourous wood and whatever chemicals the wood is treated with. I think im going to try to fix one section as a creep gate to let lambs in. Ive got big ideas that look good on paper but in reality sometimes kick me upside the head :lol: i have to do something different trying to carry buckets in the lot gives me a case of the foul mouth when i get tripped.... Which is nearly every day.

greengrazer
Old Hand

Postby greengrazer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Trip to building supply revealed black pipe thats smooth inside. For whatever reason i thought i remembered the last i bought being corugated inside as well. I bought it. Simple, light, hopefully durable when properly anchored.

Return to “Tools of the trade”