Grounds and fence setup question

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
mamodei
Old Hand

Grounds and fence setup question

Postby mamodei » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:38 am

I've been setting up a new place for my winter quarters. I'm finishing up a square paddock, roughly 300x300, fenced with 48" woven high tensile wire, one hot wire above, and one stand off wire on the inside (20 inches or so) to keep the girls from using the fence as a back rub and hopefully deter predators who put a nose through. I've also got a strand of barbed wire just below the woven wire as our local coyotes are diggers, not jumpers. I don't have electricity on this field so using a solar fencer. I've an excellent pair of ground rods down at the far corner of the field, lower area. The top of the field is sandy soils and prone to being very dry. The grounds have been running net for a couple years and do a fine job completing the circuit for very hot fences.

So far I've been keeping the charger down by the grounds. I'd really like to move it up to the opposite corner of the field for winter. I don't expect to keep the fence hot all winter, but want to do so as long as I can. This will be much easier with the charger and batteries where I can access them reasonably once the snow flies. My question is how to handle the ground. I'm pretty sure new grounds at the top of the field will be nowhere near as effective. Maybe I could do a series of 3 foot grounds (pair of well spaced 6 footers down at the bottom of the field)? Or would it be worth running a coated wire all the way to the top and keep using my grounds below? That's 600 feet of fence so does not seem like a good plan. Or maybe bring the ground up to the top end by hooking it in through the woven wire but that seems a bad plan on a variety of fronts, lightning to start with.
Maria Amodei
http://www.northfacefarm.com
Dunstable, MA

KDZ
Newcomer

Re: Grounds and fence setup question

Postby KDZ » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:26 pm

If it were mine, I would put in a couple ground rods by the new fencer location and hook the new ground rods, netting, and old ground rods all together. I don't see a problem doing this - seems no different than running a hot/ground fence.

Mike Wallace
Old Hand

Postby Mike Wallace » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:25 am

We have two solar chargers used year-round with similar locations and ground conditions as you described. I drove one ground rod in the fenceline near each charger, and connected it to what would be your bottom barb wire. I also connected the bottom barb wire to the existing ground rods in the lower wet areas. Completely separate groundings for each charger.
Cannot say I've had any problems with these two chargers that I could imagine were due to the grounding arrangement. ALTHOUGH, both chargers crapped-out two years ago, but they were both 20+ years old at the time.
Like, KDZ wrote, it seems like a hot-ground fence.

mamodei
Old Hand

Postby mamodei » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks. Based on this I'll add one or two 3 foot grounds at the top, and tie them into the bottom barbed wire, then tie in the ground at the bottom of the field too.
Maria Amodei
http://www.northfacefarm.com
Dunstable, MA

Return to “Tools of the trade”