Low voltage -- wet soil?

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
Hilmar
Old Hand

Low voltage -- wet soil?

Postby Hilmar » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Yesterday morning I was greeted by my flock gathered around my back porch. The electronet fence was down in several places. I presume that it was down due to our setting it while the ground was very hard, but recent downpours have left our clay soil saturated and quite loose.

After I put the sheep back in the pasture and reset the fence, I checked to see the voltage of the fence. It usually is around 4000 volts, but even where the wire from the energizer met the fence, the charge had dissipated to half of that or less. At the energizer, there is full voltage being generated. Could the wet ground decrease the charge, or do I likely have some other issue?
Mark

Linda Poole
Old Hand

Re: Low voltage -- wet soil?

Postby Linda Poole » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi Mark-

Wet conditions zap my electronet voltage if the energized lines touch (or even nearly touch and short across to) wet grass or ground. I run the pos - neg variety of electronet from Premier -- every other horizontal line is energized with the alternates being ground wires. When it rains and there is some veg close to or against the fence, the charge will be cut in half. As soon as the sun dries things out, the charge goes back to full.

Nice that your sheep come to their shepherd when the fence poops out -- much better than highing themselves over the farthest horizon.

Linda

Hilmar
Old Hand

Postby Hilmar » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Thanks,Linda. I hope that we'll go a few days without rain; however, given weather elsewhere, I can hardly complain.
Mark

denice
Old Hand

Postby denice » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Here in the land of every other day rain this summer the grass is growing faster than they can eat it and way faster than I am inclined to mow. Usually this time of year I do not have move the netting because the grass is not growing. This year I have go around and pull it out of the grass once a week even if it was on bare ground.

The other thing I have learned is that FOG will cut the juice quick. When we have foggy morning or misty days my girls stay in only because they have enough to eat - while they would like to sample the grass on the other side of the fence the consequences of them getting out is a Border Collie gets to put them back in - makes getting out just not quite worth it :lol:

Return to “Tools of the trade”