Watson Blade Shears

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
Island Shepherd
Old Hand

Watson Blade Shears

Postby Island Shepherd » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:28 am

Has anyone tried the Watson shears? If so what are your thoughts on them? While we are primarily machine shearers, we do like to do some blade shearing on small farm mobs or rough islands where lugging the generator over ledges is a hassle.

We have always used the old B&B shears, but these modern Watson blades look interesting. He claims to have sheared 80 Merinos w/o re-sharpening, and the blades are replaceable. There is a new professional model coming out that is supposed to have even higher quality steel. They are dear at $295 NZ + shipping but maybe worth it for serious blade shearers. [actually I looked up the exchange rate for the NZ dollar and it is .65 US so the price would be closer to $200]

Would appreciate any reviews from first hand experience with them.

If you are not familiar but are interested: http://www.watsonmultishears.co.nz/shears
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sh ... ORM=VRDGAR

Linda Poole
Old Hand

Re: Watson Blade Shears

Postby Linda Poole » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:12 pm

So, Dave, have you ordered the hand shears? If so, what's your report on them?

I use hand shears quite a bit over the course of the year, cleaning up faces and fannies and fleece follies of various types. I've got three sets of blades, none particularly great but I'm lucky to have a wonderful Basque friend to restore a keen edge to them whenever needed. But having a set that holds an edge like you describe has me feeling covetous. Are they really worth the money?

Return to “Tools of the trade”