injection gun you like?

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
Saffronsheepranch
Old Hand

injection gun you like?

Postby Saffronsheepranch » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:56 am

I am thinking about buying an injection gun. I think they are pretty expensive but so is buying boxes full of syringes and time consuming filling them before working the sheep. Do you guys have guns you like? I only used one once for intramuscular injections but really liked it. Has anyone ever filled one and left it in the fridge during lambing? How often do you change the needles when you use it? I never bought one because I didn't think it was for subcutaneous injections for some reason. Do they work with 18 gauge needles? How often do the needles fall off? Well, just if anyone could tell me which one they like... Thank you. Kirsten
Kirsten Wendt
Missouri

BIGIRON59
Old Hand

Re: injection gun you like?

Postby BIGIRON59 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:16 am

I use these for mass treatment. can set from 1 to 5 cc.http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=Cb0U ... dium%3Dcpc
lots of people use these http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/details/ ... -9959.html
needles twist on to lock
mine have been in my possession since my feedlot days(1983) and have vaccinated tens of thousands of doses over the years. They cost 70.00 back in that day, they were made in Germany, and were the Mercedes of vaccination equipment then. The other one was the huaptner. The other one is the way I would go if I would buy new. You can attach the bottle to them . They are used by many of my friends in the hog industry and feed lot trade . at that price point, after thousands of doses ,when they fail you toss them.
Starving sheepherder on the windblown tundra of Northwest Iowa

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:33 am

This is the one I like. I keep the bottle in a cozy strapped to my upper arm. Thus no worries about the bottle getting smashed against the chute, etc. I found the ones with the top mounted bottle to be ergonomically challenging -- too top heavy for long runs.

Edited to include the link. I'm so clever that way.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail. ... 8&cat_id=8
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Brian Dietrich
Old Hand

Postby Brian Dietrich » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:10 pm

Unlike Bill, I love the bottle-mounted vaccinators. Allflex, Primatech, Agri-Pro Enterprises are all good brands. All have parts that can be replaced and will last a long time with a little basic care. If you want one with a hose on it, I'd recommend the metal or plastic N.J. Philips guns. Injections should go subcutaneously. The needles lock on and don't fall off. I use 18 or 20 gauge needles depending on the product you are giving.
Brian Dietrich
Siremax--Performance-recorded composite terminal sires
http://www.siremax.com

"Siremax--We know what's going on inside the sheep"

Justin-PA

Postby Justin-PA » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:02 pm

Bill Fosher wrote:This is the one I like. I keep the bottle in a cozy strapped to my upper arm. Thus no worries about the bottle getting smashed against the chute, etc. I found the ones with the top mounted bottle to be ergonomically challenging -- too top heavy for long runs.

Edited to include the link. I'm so clever that way.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail. ... 8&cat_id=8

I have 3 these also and like them a lot. I gave up on strapping the bottle to myself, seems like I was always getting caught or wrapped on something. Having given probably 5000+ injections I am pretty good at doing it one handed on the skin folds of the neck. So I hold the bottle in one hand, syringe in the other, then after each chute load is vaccinated I set it down on a table I have handy while I refill the chute. This may sound cumbersome but for me and my setup its the fastest method. If I didn't have to be the one reloading the chute (and sometimes the squeeze) then I would strap it on.

Saffronsheepranch
Old Hand

Postby Saffronsheepranch » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:36 pm

Hmmm...
Can that premier one be attached to say a bottle of valbazen too?
It really is a tough call between having a top heavy gun or getting tangled in the hose version or the refill one....
The top heavy one only holds 50 or 100 cc bottles but cdt only comes in 50 or 250ml bottles...
I can not do one handed injections.
I guess maybe I will try the Premier one and figure out where to strap it to myself.
You forgot to tell me how often you switch out the needle for a fresh, sharp one. How many lambs?
I suppose it would be a bad thing if I just put the whole bit in the refrigerator for the whole of lambing and pulled it out daily to use it?

Thanks
Kirsten Wendt
Missouri

Brian Dietrich
Old Hand

Postby Brian Dietrich » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:11 pm

Saffronsheepranch wrote:Hmmm...
Can that premier one be attached to say a bottle of valbazen too?

Sure

Saffronsheepranch wrote:It really is a tough call between having a top heavy gun or getting tangled in the hose version or the refill one....
The top heavy one only holds 50 or 100 cc bottles but cdt only comes in 50 or 250ml bottles...

The Primatech and APE ones hold 50, 100, and 250 ml bottles. Holding half a pound in one hand is not a real difficult feat of strength for most people.

Saffronsheepranch wrote:You forgot to tell me how often you switch out the needle for a fresh, sharp one. How many lambs?
I suppose it would be a bad thing if I just put the whole bit in the refrigerator for the whole of lambing and pulled it out daily to use it?

Until it gets dull or bent. Sometimes 1 sheep, sometimes 25 sheep. Buy good quality needles and be careful to not hit them on things.

Some people do it, but I wouldn't keep an open vaccine bottle for continuous use. Bo-se or something like that would probably be fine.
Brian Dietrich
Siremax--Performance-recorded composite terminal sires
http://www.siremax.com

"Siremax--We know what's going on inside the sheep"

IowaDave
Old Hand

Postby IowaDave » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:52 am

I use the Roux style also. They've served me well for something like 30yrs, still use one of the originals. Have a couple 50cc's and a small one that I think is a10cc that will go down to 1/4cc injections. I'd hate to guess how many hogs/cattle/sheep it's injected. Occasionally need to replace the seals, but other than that, keep it clean and lubed and it's good to go.

I've tried the style where the bottle is attached to the top and find it clunky. Also have a draw-off similar to the style others have but seem to always grab the Roux pistol grip.

Dave
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:45 am

The thing I don't like about the Roux style guns is that the sharp part is too far away from the operating hand. I'm clumsy and ham-fisted, so I find it hard to put the needle exactly where I want it when it's seven or eight inches away from the hand that's controlling it.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

strawberry103
Newcomer

Postby strawberry103 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:35 pm

I love the Primatech I have given thousands of shots a month with them (I also work in a farrowing barn) he ones with the marking paint are the best! I am a klutz and do not get tangled. I wear bottle on my waist.

Return to “Tools of the trade”