Electric fence

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
creeksidelc
Old Hand

Electric fence

Postby creeksidelc » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi, I currently run about a mile of electric fence off of an ac charger with 1 joule output to help keep predators from climbing my fence. A couple weeks ago I was riding the fence line and found a limb had fallen and had pushed the hot wire down onto the top Wire of my field fencing and was arcing. I'm not sure how long it had been doing this but could have been up to 2 weeks. I just got my electric bill and it was 270 and has always been below 100 before. Any chance that arcing fence could have caused the extra energy? Do fence chargers use the same amount of energy when they aren't shocking anything as when they are? I know this is a basic question but I've not been able to find any answers anywhere else.
Thanks

Brian Dietrich
Old Hand

Re: Electric fence

Postby Brian Dietrich » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:14 pm

Since no one else has replied, I'll show my ignorance about electricity. The practical answer is that you will see little to no difference in your electric bill whether there is a "short" on your fence or not. The energizer pulls a very small amount of current (amperage) regardless of the load on the fence. The voltage, of course, will drop considerably if there is a "short" in the circuit. So, in your case, there is certainly something else that is causing your electric bill to nearly triple. Common sources might be a space heater left on, a well pump that keeps running for some reason (bad switch, broken pipe, etc), or kids that are home from college for a bit doing lots of laundry and reheating chicken in the microwave. Good luck with your search.
Brian Dietrich
Siremax--Performance-recorded composite terminal sires
http://www.siremax.com

"Siremax--We know what's going on inside the sheep"

Sugar Creek
Old Hand

Postby Sugar Creek » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Thanks Brian,

I wanted to say that but I was a little more afraid to exhibit my ignorance of electricity.

Fred

Darroll Grant
Old Hand

Postby Darroll Grant » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:27 pm

A few years back our power bill was up. Found that the well pump was frequently cycling and could not find any water running. Well tech checked out the system and found the water warmer than expected. Pulled the pump to find a corrosion hole in the pipe threads at the pump. Went back in with heavy pvc and stainless couplers. Both power bill and water temp down.
Darroll Grant
western Oregon

creeksidelc
Old Hand

Postby creeksidelc » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks all for the replies. I'm glad to hear it isn't the fence. I had figured that wasnt the cause but wanted to rule it out before I call the power company and see if the meter is off or a bad reading.

poltroon
Familiar Face

Postby poltroon » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:26 pm

At our place, things like that almost always prove to be a leaky pipe and a constantly running well pump. Hope your answer is less annoying.

Another possibility is that if you were running holiday lights, those things suck a rather surprising amount of power, or if you had extra guests.

You should be able to monitor your electricity usage daily to see if you've found the source yet or if your usage is still high, before the next bill arrives.

Salt Air Shepherd
Newcomer

Postby Salt Air Shepherd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Had this happen on our farm two years ago and started checking old freezers, barns, etc. and found nothing unusual (all of our chargers are solar or 12V). After a few months of this we started getting peeved about the high bills. Upon hiring an electrician and getting the local utility to cut the main feed to our meter pole, we discovered that the main electrical feed to the farm (behind the meter) was loose and had begun to arc...close to starting a major fire or worse. It was installed, new, in 1947, so........

The normal electrical bills resumed thereafter.

Some electric fence chargers will sense the load and begin to put out more to compensate for "weed load". I would start there and then check other things as mentioned, electricity is wonderful but can be very dangerous. Good luck.

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:34 am

An electrician can put a load meter on your various circuits and see if anything is out of whack. If your bill has gone up $170 a month, you can pay for a few hours of an electrician to locate and fix the problem and get your money back PDQ.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Return to “Tools of the trade”