Need another hay feeder....

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
IowaDave
Old Hand

Need another hay feeder....

Postby IowaDave » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:38 am

[img]http://s457.photobucket.com/user/WaltonFarmspics/media/Pic97-Galvanisedbigbalefeeder.jpg.html[/img]

Looking for something like this. Have three collapsable feeders now and use something similar to a cradle for feeding cattle and it's great as a hay-saver.

I've looked at many lightly made, poorly designed feeders and happened to find the one pictured above but sadly it's made in the UK. Anyone know of a US (or NA) source of a similar feeder?

Dave
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

Jon Carter
Old Hand

Re: Need another hay feeder....

Postby Jon Carter » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:56 am

Hi Dave,
Except for the lack of skids and a pan, that feeder looks very similar to the balejail type easy load feeder I'm getting. (see the thread below). I'll try to get a pic up this afternoon. I was hoping to get a pic with the pan on but apparently that has to be hot dipped separately. Mine should be hot dipped toward the end of next week so I can get a finished pic then. I know they have a version in the works that can be shipped flat. We ended up going with an 8" spacing on the bars.

Jon
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.
http://jolefarms.blogspot.com/

IowaDave
Old Hand

Postby IowaDave » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:56 pm

Very similar. I planned to construct a low pan at the bottom, but leave it open. My experience has been that eventually the "junk" ends up in the pan and fills it, requiring it's removal. I'd rather just move the feeder, leaving the junk behind.

I'd also place the bars closer. I've come to like a 4-5" square opening. Big enough for them to stick the muzzle through, but small enough to discourage pulling wads of alfalfa out. Instead, they have to "graze", nibbling through the bale instead of picking out the stems and eating leaves.

If I can't find a domestic source, I'll likely knock the rust off my welding skills and have a local machine shop roll form the cradle pieces.
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

IowaDave
Old Hand

Postby IowaDave » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:46 am

2nd attempt...... I like the round rod design of this one but could adapt to square tube easily.

Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

MattLynch
Old Hand

Postby MattLynch » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:00 pm

http://www.marweld.ca/feeders/shb
I have several of the basket feeders, a collapsible feeder and a few round feeders. The basket feeders are by far my favorite. Easy to drop bales into, little wasted as the bale is off the ground and they can clean it up well.
On Twitter @ ns_sheep

Jon Carter
Old Hand

Postby Jon Carter » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:26 pm

MattLynch wrote:http://www.marweld.ca/feeders/shb
I have several of the basket feeders, a collapsible feeder and a few round feeders. The basket feeders are by far my favorite. Easy to drop bales into, little wasted as the bale is off the ground and they can clean it up well.

The round feeder I used (which was probably designed for cattle) was a bugger to move and had a lot of waste. The stock panel Premier type feeder I used had to be fussed with but at least you could break it down and drag it off in one trip with a 4 wheeler. The Biggest problem I can see for me with the basket type feeder you linked to, besides looking a little light, would be the lack of skids. Looks like you could tow it around easily enough on firm ground but I'm thinking it would sink 6" deep into the mud here when loaded (and probably have a hard freeze the morning I wanted to move it). Our ground here is too soft to take a tractor over in the wet season. Last year we experimented with putting round bales lined up on pallets and covered with plastic on some of our wettest, least productive ground, just rolling them off and trying to build up the organic matter. Worked so well that when we lost the big hoop house we used for hay storage in the snow last year, we didnt replace it. I'm kind of thinking that I dont want to use our precious covered space for hay storage. A feeder that you could tow up to the bales on a 4 wheeler, load and drive off with looks like a winner. And if my wife can do it while I stand next to the stove and watch her through the binoculars in my pj's, so much the better haha.

Channeling Willie Nelson here:
Fill my pipe then go and fetch my slippers
And boil me up another cup of tea
Put another log on the fire babe
Then come and tell me why you're leaving me

Jon
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.
http://jolefarms.blogspot.com/

Kathy Lewis
Old Hand

Postby Kathy Lewis » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kathy Lewis
White Dorpers with Lambplan EBVs
www.whitedorper.com

IowaDave
Old Hand

Postby IowaDave » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:51 am

I can't tell you how badly it would work out for me if I sent my wife to feed sheep in below zero weather.... I'd be sleeping with the dogs outside somewhere! :shock:

Moving the feeder to the bale, then moving both seems to me like an exercise in futility and a guaranteed work for the welder. The oldest collapsible feeder I have has likely not moved in 20 years except to be taken down to clean up the pile in the spring. Taking the bales to the feeder is more practical "here", as we're running a loader tractor nearly every day feeding cattle.

Matt? Do you remember the cost on the basket feeder?

Dave
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

MattLynch
Old Hand

Postby MattLynch » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I paid $400 each for the basket feeders, shipping included. They are not extremely heavy duty, but they are holding up very well for me after a few hundred bales of silage in them. I also move them a lot with the tractor.
On Twitter @ ns_sheep

IowaDave
Old Hand

Postby IowaDave » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks Matt

I looked at them again just now. Why do manufacturers insist on making feeders for such small bales??

I roll a 5.5x6' bale, as do most around here, and really don't like to make smaller ones, more of them to move - especially when your hay fields are 3, 6 and 15 miles from home.

A smaller bale will fit in a big feeder, but hard to stretch a feeder to fit a bigger bale. Advice to feeder makers = Stop making 5' bale feeders......
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

MattLynch
Old Hand

Postby MattLynch » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:08 pm

I do occasionally put 5x6 bales in them and they fit fine, a bit tight. They probably say 5' max so people don't put a 2500lb+ silage bale in them and bend them. Fine for hay though.
On Twitter @ ns_sheep

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:32 am

The 48 by 48 inch round bale has pretty much become the standard big bale package in New England, probably because so many of them have to be hauled down the public highways. Two 48-inch bales go down the road side by side without a special oversize load permit and can be stacked two high on a standard 50 inch freight deck without going over 13 feet 9 inches. I had a semi load of 50 inch bales held up by the Vermont DOT because the trucker didn't have a permit. The load was 8 feet 4 inches wide.

A bigger bale means more weight per package, but with our regulations I think it still means less weight per load. My experience has been that a six foot bale weighs twice as much as a 48 inch bale, but I don't think you can get half as many onto the same trailer without being too high or too wide to go down our roads.

So, more bales to handle, but fewer trips.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

IowaDave
Old Hand

Postby IowaDave » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:24 am

Interesting 'here' vs 'there', Bill. We haul 2 wide, 2 high on a gooseneck flatbed and have yet to have that roadside discussion with the DOT, but we banner and flag just to make sure if we haul on the highways. Stick to the gravels and no one cares.

All trucks are allowed 8'6" with no permitting. Up to 11'6" with a $25 annual oversize permit, no special routing. On a 48' trailer, I'm overweight with a load of 5.5x6' bales, somewhere around 85,000#. Most commercial hay around here is moved with a step-deck and can be stacked 2 high without going over height.

In dry mixed alfalfa I can make a 1800-2000# bale, grass is lighter, maybe 1500-1600# for mature brome. We did have a neighbor bale and wrap some baleage for us using a 4x5.5 baler. The weight is no problem to handle, but it would have taken us a couple extra trips to move the same tonnage if it was dry hay.

I know what you're saying on size though. I have a hay barn that things fit 'just right' if I keep my bale size to just under 6', maybe around 5'10".
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:39 am

The carriageway on a lot of our secondary roads is less than 11' 6" around here, meaning that there wouldn't be enough room to bring the load down the road without hitting utility poles, trees, mailboxes. etc.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

BIGIRON59
Old Hand

Postby BIGIRON59 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:20 pm

The 4 foot bale is ideal for sheep. They can reach 2 feet. So no need to do anything if you have appropriate feeders. 6 ft bales need to be worked out to edge of feeder unless you have collapsible fedders. Most just add another bale. So the feeder disappears into the pile. I bought some ewes that were.used to being on 6 foot feeders. They still think they are starving. After the 4 Foot bale is gone,feeder is picked up and they get to glean what they pulled out for a day. The pile in that pen is over twice as large as any other pen here. My home raised. Ewes are in other pens and ewes from MARC in another. Those ewes waste nothing. I assume the hay they are getting is better than anything they have ever seen. Just ditch hay. The Dorset's were fed the finest of alfalfa thier whole life and been whining the 5 months they have been here.They will get over it someday. The Marc ewe probably think they are in sheep heaven. A shed to sleep in if raining or snowing and a bale of hay a hundred feet from that.
Starving sheepherder on the windblown tundra of Northwest Iowa

Return to “Tools of the trade”