Round bale feeder

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
Looking4ewes
Old Hand

Re: Round bale feeder

Postby Looking4ewes » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:35 am

Nice. I wanna!
Wendy Villarreal

Justin-PA

Postby Justin-PA » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:06 pm

I think these could work well for loading a bale along a fence line. Put a flat end against the fence and load the bales (with loader) from the outside.

Jon Carter
Old Hand

Postby Jon Carter » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Justin-PA wrote:I think these could work well for loading a bale along a fence line. Put a flat end against the fence and load the bales (with loader) from the outside.

It would be a piece of cake with a bale spear. With just my forks, I'd need a little more practice to get a good drop first time.
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.
http://jolefarms.blogspot.com/

Chris Hoyt
Newcomer

Postby Chris Hoyt » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Here it is loaded with a 4x4' bale. My buddy and I loaded it by hand and it was really easy. We just rolled the feeder up over the bale, put a ratchet strap under the bale so it didn't fall out and then pushed. Then we towed it away. We used thicker material in a few key places and now we have a solid bolt together design. For those of you who wanted to know how thick the tubing is, we used 16 gauge and 14 gauge.

Chris Hoyt
Owner: Mid Valley Fab LLC
Stayton, Oregon

Return to “Tools of the trade”