Laser eye surgery - any experience?

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
DonDrewry
Old Hand

Laser eye surgery - any experience?

Postby DonDrewry » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:27 am

I realize at first look many will think this is totally off topic, but it really isn't. I'm considering getting laser eye surgery primarily because the dust on the farm has never worked well for me with contacts and I'm tired of my glasses coming in and out of the barn particularly during the winter months, and the too frequent damage to my glasses that occurs when I'm in the barn or fields.

Anyone gone through the laser eye surgery that has relevant experiences worth sharing? Glad you did it? Wish you hadn't? Particularly interested in post 40 age group.

Thanks,
Don Drewry

roadrancher
Old Hand

Re: Laser eye surgery - any experience?

Postby roadrancher » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:13 pm

I had it done six years ago. It didn't take me long to regret not doing it sooner.
I don't think I fully realized how much my contacts were bothering me until I had my lasik surgery. I had given contacts a try after years of struggling (and yes, constantly breaking) glasses.

I would caution you of a few things.
1. Follow your doctors instructions regarding the recommended eye drops to a "T", and don't be caught without them, ever.
2. You will have a period (about six months for me, but seemed like an eternity) where oncoming headlights will have a halo around them and it will drive you crazy.
3. Buy a good pair of safety glasses before you have it done. You no longer have that buffer (and false sense of security) on your face automatically when you weed eat, use a grinding wheel, or chip at something that may throw debris your way.
4. Buy several cheap pairs of reading glasses (mine are +1.25) and have them in the house, barn, truck, and office. I tend to need mine more in the evening or when the lighting is poor and/or the print is fine. I have a pair with my barn meds. You do lose your ability to squint to read.
5. Be fully prepared to reach for glasses that aren't there, for a month or so, when you shower or go to bed.

I would also consult with your doctor about his/her protocol regarding how long until you can fly, go back to barn (dust), etc. My doctor cautioned me about flying for a month. I have talked to several people who traveled by air within a week or so. I also had a pair of lab goggles (no air holes) that I wore in the barn for two weeks.

Good luck!
I think you'll be happy with the freedom it gives you!

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:31 pm

not to dissuade you from the surgery, but just a suggestion for those wrecking glasses. the last 2 pair I've bought had flexible frames that seem to be indestructible despite being smashed by sheep, over head bars on the cattle chute etc. The last pair lasted 4 years. The only reason I replaced them is because my vision, and therefore prescription, improved significantly since changing my diet.

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota

DonDrewry
Old Hand

Postby DonDrewry » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Roadrancher, I've never heard about either the flying restriction or barn dust. Both will make it interesting for me. Thanks for the info.

Janet, I've got a decent pair of glasses to wear in the barn. They are scratch resistant and I think also they fog up less. My office glasses are photosensitive so when snow covers everything and it's sunny out they turn so dark that when I'm wearing them and I go into my barn I'm almost blind for a few minutes. Now, if you could just tell me how to remember to wear the right glasses out to the barn and the right glasses to the office everyday then the specifics of each would work fine. :-),
Don Drewry

Ebenezer
Old Hand

Postby Ebenezer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:33 am

My wife asked recently. Eye dryness is a side effect. If you already suffer from loss of moisture or that runs in your family then it will get worse. She declined because of that.

Looking4ewes
Old Hand

Postby Looking4ewes » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:32 am

I had Lasik surgery over 15 years ago and my only regret was not doing it sooner. The only side effect I have is that my eyes are more sensitive to cold air, and will water frequently at first, when adjusting to winter temperatures.
Wendy Villarreal

IowaDave
Old Hand

Postby IowaDave » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 pm

Invest in a good pair of sunglasses first....

I wear contacts and have for the last 30 years. Tried them all. The best results I've had are the monthly extended wear contacts and a good pair of sunglasses that protects from dust, dirt, pollen, chaff, etc. I've had a pair of Oakleys for the past 5 years and don't leave the house without them.

Not trying to change your mind, just suggesting an alternative before heading to the Doc for lasik surgery.

Good luck either way.

Dave
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:28 am

My eyes are a train wreck: astigmatism, near-sighted, age-related far sighted, and now glaucoma. (Apparently marijuana used in college doesn't have a prophylactic effect.) I've tried contacts of a few different kinds without luck. Progressive lenses and bifocals really don't work well because my vision loss from the glaucoma is in the areas where you look through the magnifier portion of the lenses. So I have two pairs of glasses: distance and computer.

Someone once told me that if you stop wearing glasses, your eyes and brain will adjust and your vision will improve. He said glasses are just a crutch. I said I know that, and my eyes need a wheelchair.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:13 am

Bill, I've had astigmatism since 3rd grade, and that is what improved. Doc said it was gone.

Janet
Janet McNally

Minnesota

DonDrewry
Old Hand

Postby DonDrewry » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:06 am

Janet, we apparently got glasses for similar reasons at almost the same age. If I understand your post correctly you are of the opinion that a change in diet may have resulted in an improvement in your astigmatism?

Bill, for a short time in college I thought I might be able to strike it rich as it seemed like I had figured out that large quantities of beer improved ones vision dramatically. However, a few hours later it became apparent that wearing hard contact lenses for about 20 hours (while possible consuming a non trivial amount of beer for several of those hours) caused ones eyes to temporarily change shape and give you 20:20 vision. But, alas this was a of temporal condition and by 10:00 AM I couldn't read the screen at the front of the class and I was my normal half-blind self.
Don Drewry

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:26 am

Don, that was what my eye doctor said. He told me the reason my Rx changed, was because I no longer had an astigmatism. He said overall my vision had improved by 20%, and he attributed this to diet (after asking what did I do differently). I would say he was considerably more aware of the impact of diet on health as we had a nice chat about food.

Janet
Janet McNally

Minnesota

lenajo
Old Hand

Postby lenajo » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:12 pm

I had the surgery in 2006

Murphy's Law moved in the day I did it. The theory was that happened because I was a nurse, knew the doctor was a good one (did his post ops for years prior), and I followed all instructions. :roll:

The first surgery was the usual outpatient...yes the first. A bit of debris from the cornea got stuck under the cornea incision

So it had to be redone..under anesthesia.

Both eyes hemorrhaged - I looked like a bar fight victem.

I had intense pain - I'm someone who thinks codeine is a major drug class. Don't take meds, hate'm. For this I required demerol for days

After this started to heal and I could see - I developed intense photophobia. I couldn't get out of a dark room without more pain. Spend 6 weeks on a betablocker eye drop and it was agony to be outside in the sun without special sunglasses

in the end they corrected my astimgatism and distance vision - which is all the problem I had. But I now need reading glasses. :x

All my experiences were in the fine print. All of them happening at once is pretty rare. Doc says it's because he knew me (and he talked me into it...aren't you tired of those glasses and contacts? LOL) ...

I would do it again, but I suggest people plan for more time off than suggested, and read the fine print. Just in case. The eye protection later suggestions are spot on.

Wendy
Western TN

lisainnh
Old Hand

Postby lisainnh » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:13 am

I had lasik done on both eyes about 10 years ago (at the age of 40)...it was either get it done then or start wearing bifocals....I was already having to take my glasses (needed to see anything past the end of my out stretched arms) to read. I also started to ride my own motorcycle...which resulted in wearing some pretty ugly goggles as my eyes get dry as the wind is rushing past. The surgery was a piece of cake...seriously! I was so afraid to have my eyes forced open and having to watch instruments coming at them...or that I would move at an inopportune time and mess everything up, that I put off having it done for years. But I went in and what seemed like minutes later walked out being able to see without glasses for the first time since I was about 10! Now I kick myself for not having it done years ago! I do have to wear reading glasses, but I knew that heading in and it's still better than wearing glasses all the time! I've not found that I have any more sensitivity to dust or sun than I had before...I never saw halo's around bright objects either. I don't wear sunglasses working outside but I do usually wear my straw hat which I wear to keep the sun off my head/face. I think the only thing that "bothered" me was the habit of pushing up my glasses....even though I was no longer wearing them! (I kept hitting myself in the face! lol) I highly recommend having it done!
Lisa Smith
Indian Brook Farm
Swanzey, NH

Sylvia Murray
Old Hand

Postby Sylvia Murray » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:06 pm

Sorry but I'm just catching up. I haven't had laser surgery. Have friends who have and their experiences are like the other replies here...some great and some not so great. I had an eye doctor who is in to natural things and went through all kinds of contacts but the dust from driving through gravel pits, barn duties, etc. made me carry a bottle of eye drops in my pocket or sometimes even to take them out half way through the day and rinse them and put them back in. Dr. J did some investigating and in 2004 started offering Ortho-K lenses. (Short for orthokeratonomy (spelling). They are a hard contact lens that you wear when sleeping and take out while you are awake and out and about. She described it to me as a non-invasive alternative to laser surgery and that they are kind of like braces for your eyes. I figured to try it. The original cost was pricey, I think it was $2K but it included the initial visit and mapping of the eye, as well as the first lens. I don't know how much lasik costs, but the upside is the lens lasts 2 years. I have worn a couple of mine for longer. They reshape/mold the cornea while you sleep and depending on how much elasticity you have in your eyes, wearing them overnight can get you 1-5 days before having to wear them again. You can wear them for as little as 3-5 hours and still get results but the effects might not last as long. I got mine in 2004 and at that time I was her oldest client to use them, most were teens who were active in sports. I do what is called mono-vision so only wear a lens to correct the dominant eye and the other is left to do it's own thing because we could over correct the dominant eye and the two would adjust to give me 20/20. It allowed me to read some stuff without cheaters for the longest time but now I have to wear cheater glasses for most reading. One draw back is during lambing season when after a while in the eye it gets dry so I put in drops rather than going back to the house to take the lens out every time I find a ewe lambing. My weak eye has improved so that it doesn't need a lens should I decide to go to glasses or bi-focal contacts. They can't correct for far-sighted and some with astigmatism can't use them either.
Sylvia Murray
Alder Brook Farm
www.alderbrookromneys.com

DonDrewry
Old Hand

Postby DonDrewry » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I had the surgery a few months ago, distance vision is 20:15. I did the mono vision which means I use my dominant eye for distance and my other eye for reading. Not sold on the "middle vision" such as computer screens, bulletin boards and the like. Supposedly my brain will program itself for this to get better, it's improved from the initial but still not good enough.

All in l happy with the results but still find myself looking for my glasses when I wake up in the morning.
Don Drewry

Return to “Tools of the trade”