scales for sheep

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
twink
Newcomer

scales for sheep

Postby twink » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi, I am looking at scales. I am looking at A&A scales VS660. Are the A&A good? Not needing anything fancy. Brecknel also has a vet type scale Model PS500 that is reasonable. I am looking at putting a scale in my raceway and building my own box around it. Any input on what you have and like or don't like?? Thanks

high plainsman
Old Hand

Re: scales for sheep

Postby high plainsman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:01 pm

I have an A A V660 scale, and of course it needs to be accurately calibrated. It seems to be pretty accurate and reads out in tenth of a pound. But it is difficult to get a good reading when the animal is moving around. It is supposed to take an average weight. But I am not sure how accurate that is. If you can build a chute that doesn't allow the animal to move very much, it might be Ok. I was able to do that for my mature ewes, and felt like it was pretty good. But for weighing lambs are weaning for instance, it is much harder to be able to keep them still. For me, it is important to get an accurate weight at weaning, so I can evaluate the ewes performance.

twink
Newcomer

Postby twink » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:45 pm

I did end up buying a VS660 from A&A scales. The fellow said if it jumps around too much, you can adjust the filter in the head so it doesn't jump around so bad. i like it so far. Built a box to put inline with my working chute.

high plainsman
Old Hand

Postby high plainsman » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:10 am

Did he say how to adjust the scale so it doesn't jump around so much?

twink
Newcomer

Postby twink » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 am

No he didn't. He was going to call me back but never did. Scale worked good enough so haven't called him back. I think he would have to walk you through it to set it.

Return to “Tools of the trade”