lamb restraint

For discussion of tools like shearing gear, trailers, handling facilities all the way down the line to hoof shears. Sources, experiences, etc.
MuscledCluns
Newcomer

lamb restraint

Postby MuscledCluns » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:57 am

I would like to make a lamb restraint for holding 4-10 day old lambs to tattoo them. I was wandering if anyone has any pictures of a restraint that they are using or know of where I could purchase one?
Thanks,
Bill

denice
Old Hand

Re: lamb restraint

Postby denice » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:01 pm

I have seen them - now to remember where... possible Premier1 or the Pipestone vet supply catalog. The ones I have seen are made out of PVC pipe I believe

MRPittman
Old Hand

Postby MRPittman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Wanting to build our own lamb restraint for one person tagging, vaccinating etc. of young lambs. Know of the one sold by Sydell, but thinking there should be some ideas among sheep producers as to building a home made style?

WayneG
Old Hand

Postby WayneG » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Wow must be the idea of the week. I starting thinking about one as age is starting to creep up. I had looked at the Sydell one but then I think oh I can make one. Well I just got done making a gate and looking back if I didn't need a custom size- I would have been money ahead to buy one. But I am a slow learner so I will try to make one. Thinking about going with the pvc pipe. What diameter have people used- 8"?
Wayne G
The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want.

twink
Newcomer

Postby twink » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:24 pm

http://www.triplecreektrail.com/images/ ... 00x231.jpg If the picture doesn't load, go to their website and look at the panels and gate tab in their catalog. It is called a boy basket.

Linda Poole
Old Hand

Postby Linda Poole » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Mike, aka High Plainsman, shared this picture of an ingenious, low-cost, lamb restraint that he MacGyver'ed. All you need is a rack out of an old dishwasher!

Kingsqtrs
Familiar Face

Postby Kingsqtrs » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:55 am

This might not be for everyone but ran across this video some time back and it looked pretty slick. Baling twine is all that's needed. I have not tried it but maybe someone who has used this method could comment more.

https://youtu.be/okaNTSE71vw

or out in the field...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2al-cT ... e=youtu.be

Barb

After re-reading the task for which the OP needed retraint, the baling twine method is probably not what I would use. It might be something when only needing to work on one or two animals, not a group of lambs that needed a more secure system.

Linda Poole
Old Hand

Postby Linda Poole » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Using a parachute cord sash is one of the handiest things possible. I learned the technique from these same videos a couple years ago, and it is pretty much free (cost of 5 feet of cord) and about foolproof. I use it whenever I need a sheep to stay put in a somewhat curled up but sternal position.

If I have to restrain a sheep out flat, regardless of which side is down, I use a plastic gambrel restrainer from Premier 1 Supplies (https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/gamb ... s?cat_id=4). When pulling lambs or fixing prolapses, the curled up position of a sashed sheep doesn't work for me, but the gambrel makes the job easy.

But I'm still no-tech when docking and castrating lambs. I catch em one at a time, kneel down with the lamb's back to my thighs, and work on them there. After a gazillion lambs it's easy and automatic. Though my knees are getting older so maybe I'll try the dishwasher restraint this year.

Return to “Tools of the trade”