OPP and other diseases

Here's the place for oldies but goodies -- topics that have not been active for a while but that contain excellent information that users may want to refer to later.
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:13 am

Hi John,

The reason for testing purchased rams is that for those with a closed ewe flock that is negative, they are the only sheep coming in that present a risk, so it is very wise that no matter what assurances you have from the seller, just test the ram and be sure.

I've heard of one incident where a ram transmitted OPP to a flock of ewes that were previously negative, although I think this is rare.

Initially I tested and culled, then had 4 tests in a row over several years that were all negative, then I started just random testing, or testing all the cull ewes that were leaving the farm. All negative so far (since 1991). If I were to find a possitive I'd have to go back and retest the whole flock.

janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:13 am

No John, I'll test all rams for OPP in the future because I want more than just a couple of years' use out of them. The two Texels I had that I lost to OPP were both rams that I had hoped to use as the foundation of a line of Texel brood ewes. No way to establish the line if the ram goes toes up after two years. Well. there is AI, but by the time that rams start to show clinical symptoms their sperm count is usually down.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

John
Old Hand

Postby John » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:50 am

Sorry Bill did not mean to miss quote ya. :lol: It makes only sense to test your ram too.

I started doing some looking around and came across a this site http://www.oppsociety.org/, it contains a bit of information that I am not done reading yet but I did run across a familiar name (from this BB) in the members list , which helps it creditability.

John

WayneG
Old Hand

Postby WayneG » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:40 pm

I happened to run into a vetern shepard today and he agreed with the consensus here. OPP is a more common problem and causes a greater economic impact on the sheep industry.

So related back to by looking for ram post- testing RR is not necessary- OPP negative is.

Because the ram lambs I am looking at are already on the ground, from my newfound knowledge on OPP- What should I have tested- I believe testing the dam is what I should request- as lambs under 12 months of age don't necessarily test postive when they are. I will still be making some assumptions that the lamb has not picked up from someone else in the flock.

Janet- how can I get in touch with U of M to find out about testing and cost. Should my local vet know where to send the samples?
Wayne G
The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want.

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi Wayne,

here is the diagnostic lab website http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ there are contact phone numbers there. you are requesting the test for Ovine Progressive Pneumonia or OPP.

You want to definitely test the ram's dam. If the ram himself is anywhere close to one year of age, you want to test him too, but not if he is <6 mo old. If the dam is lactating, it would be better to wait until she is dried off and at least 60 days post partum.

If the dam is negative and you purchase the ram, then do be sure to test him at 1 and again at 2 years of age. This will catch any possibility if he picked it up from another sheep (odds of this are very low).

Yes you are right that you are far far more likely to experience OPP than scrapie. In my former life I had a job where I was on a lot of sheep farms and have only seen scrapie ONCE in all those years. But I've seen signs of OPP in nearly every flock.

However, it may pay to use RR rams when ever you have that option, just because more and more people are looking for RR or QR sheep. Not a lot yet, but the interest has picked up.

Janet
Janet McNally

Minnesota

WayneG
Old Hand

Postby WayneG » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:22 pm

Do I need to test AGID or ELISA or both for OPP?
Wayne G

The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want.

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:28 pm

AGID
Janet McNally

Minnesota

woolpuller
Old Hand

Postby woolpuller » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi John:
I assume you meant me.
First my flock has been tested for years. I went on the Maedi-Visna ((m-v) same as OPP) Ontario program and tested complete flock, everything over 6 months of age every 6 months for 3 separate times. Rams had to be done on this program also. I became certifide and am designate "low risk" From then on I do 10% of my adults every year. So far all my testshave been negative. My flock is closed so no outside females are allowed in and no sheep after leaving the farm are ever returned.
The frozen semen I used must be negative for m-v or OPP before and after collection of semen. It is primary ewes that transfer to other lambs or sheep. It is very low for rams to transfer OPP but there is a small percentage transfer that can happen by the animal coughing and another animal breathing this in. This is a low percentage. Janet mentioned the highest percentage.
high performance, high health, high biosecurity, a truly closed Suffolk Flock

John
Old Hand

Postby John » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:09 am

I also so Janet on the list; as many people that do sheep farms it is still a small world.

John

Return to “Archives”