Jumpers

Here's the place for oldies but goodies -- topics that have not been active for a while but that contain excellent information that users may want to refer to later.
KintailFarms
Old Hand

Jumpers

Postby KintailFarms » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:58 am

I've got two ewes with a great talent for jumping (one of them cleared the door in one of my box stalls the other day aprroximatley 4 ft. with ease.) Anyhow i realize the obvious answer might be to build higher gates, but does anyone out there have any tricks or tips to keep sheep from jumping over fences, gates, walls etc. Thanks !

Andrew
Andrew Mac Lennan
Registered Texel and Dorset
Nova Scotia

Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Re: Jumpers

Postby Lana Rowley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:10 am

cull prices are good right now.....................................

Lana

Laura L.
Old Hand

Postby Laura L. » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:29 am

Yeah, sorry. The obvious answer to me is cull them. And that's what I've done in the past. It's not worth having a couple of sheep who just don't fit the program and jumping electronet was not in my program.
Laura

KathyF
Old Hand

Postby KathyF » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:58 am

I'm with Laura, I cull them. I had a lamb this year who kept jumping the electronet and she is gone. Funny thing is that she was the smallest lamb of the year. A couple of years ago I had a bad yearling who would also jump the stall doors and she went down the road too.

Kathy

K Bar K Farm
Old Hand

Postby K Bar K Farm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:26 pm

I second (or third) the suggestion to cull them......... they won't be broken of that habit and will eventually teach others to be jumpers........

People say sheep are dumb..........I contend that we just cull the ones that are smart enough to beat our systems. :shock:

Kathy Soder
Kathy Soder
K Bar K Farm
Production-oriented, Performance-tested© Polled Dorsets
First to import Poll Dorset genetics from England in 50 years!
Central Pennsylvania

DeltaBluez Tess
Old Hand

Postby DeltaBluez Tess » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:14 pm

I had one ewe that would jump over the e-fence...she did it twice in one day and I put her back....then I saw her get ready to do it again. She was a yearling Clun Forset.

Just as she was going over the third time, I told Tess to "take hold" so imagine her surprise when she cleared the fence and was greeted with a nose grip that sent her flying. I kept telling Tess to take hold and she nailed her on her nose and butt a few more time and the ewe jumped back in. I was ready to back Tess off if the ewe looked like she was going to run into the fence. Most of the gripping discussion was about 25 feet from the fence so when the ewe had a chance to break for it, she ran like a racehorse to the fence and sailed over like a jumper.

Last time she ever jumped the fence. I kept a close eye on her afterwards and she decided the effort was not worth it. had she done it again, she would have been Tess's dinner.

Tess was so happy to do a bunch of free grips that anytime a ewe came close to the e-fence, she would lean forward and the sheep would sense her intent so that helped.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diane Pagel
DeltaBluez Stockdogs
www.deltabluez.com
www.deltabluez.blogspot.com
Carnation, Wa

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:56 pm

If you are hesitant to follow the advice about culling, then perhaps you need to hear my train story.......

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota

Muleflock
Old Hand

Postby Muleflock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Yup that would do it :D
Last edited by Muleflock on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KathyF
Old Hand

Postby KathyF » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Janet's train story is quite the story. If that doesn't convince anyone of why they should cull trouble makers, I don't know what will.

Kathy

Deb-WI
Old Hand

Postby Deb-WI » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Janet McNally wrote:If you are hesitant to follow the advice about culling, then perhaps you need to hear my train story.......

Janet

Hey Janet,

Where would we find this train story ?

Deb

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Bill, would that story be in the archives somewhere?

janet
Janet McNally

Minnesota

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:44 am

I don't know if it's in the archives, but it's etched in my memory. Unless someone specifically asked me to archive it, it's probably been lost.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

George Rodgerson
Newcomer

Postby George Rodgerson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:09 am

Fence busters also need to be culled. I have had long experience with the odd sheep that will not respect electric wire. They are more likely to go thru or under it, and bring some of their friends with them. These sheep rarely change their ways and I suspect they pass the fence busting gene on to their offspring. A bold and adventurous spirit is fine for dogs and humans but a not so much for ruminants. By the way, hello to Janet M from George in Kentucky.
George Rodgerson
Hillsboro, Kentucky

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:36 am

Hi George! great to see you here! to all forum folks who do not know, George is a great herding dog trainer!

Janet
Janet McNally

Minnesota

Paul DeWitte
Old Hand

Postby Paul DeWitte » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:52 am

Hi George, you probably do not remember me. I bought a pup from you in about 93. You brought him down to Doug Peterson's trial and I picked him up there.

He was a great farm dog, and I sure miss him. He was out of I think Nick and Bette.

Welcome to the forum.

Paul DeWitte Shullsburg Wi.

Return to “Archives”