What happens with surplus crude protein?

Here's the place for oldies but goodies -- topics that have not been active for a while but that contain excellent information that users may want to refer to later.
Iowa Quality Hay
Newcomer

Applicators

Postby Iowa Quality Hay » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:04 pm

For baled silage (baleage) the inoculant would be applied in the same manner as the hay preservative, at the pick up of the baler. That would allow for applicatoin throughout the entire bale. The other essential key is maintaining the integrity of the cover of the bale. Most bale wrappers do a good job, as long as you don't try to skimp of plastic.

Jim

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:59 pm

Thanks for the info Jim.

Seems unlikely my custom operator will spring for innoculator applicator, but I'll mention it. I think he puts up about 1500 bales of silage a year.

I think the key next year is going to be gettng the moisture right.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Iowa Quality Hay
Newcomer

Postby Iowa Quality Hay » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:05 pm

Keep the moisture in the 40% range and you will be in good shape. Would be much better to had it inoculated, but you do what you have to do. Might your custom baler be a customer of Poulin Grain or The Old Mill Troy?

Does he happen to have a chopper baler?

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:06 am

Hi Jim,

We can easily get Poulin and OMT products. OMT supplies my sheep minerals, for instance. Do they make an innoculant?

And no, the baler doesn't have a chopper. They haven't really caught on around here yet, as most of the feed that's put up with them is for cattle. Feed for milkers is run through a TMR mixer on most larger dairy farms, and chopped at that stage. As for the beef guys, well, they'd rather save a few dollars a bale and have the stuff be wasted.

A friend is buying a new Claas baler this spring, and he asked around to all his potential custom baling and feed customers, and I was the only one who would be willing to pay a couple of extra dollars a bale for chopped feed.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Iowa Quality Hay
Newcomer

Postby Iowa Quality Hay » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:52 pm

I spoke at the recent Poulin Grain sales meeting in Burlington in November about silage production. The silage accelerator products from them are good, they might be upgraded this year.

Jim

Return to “Archives”