problems in US sheep

Here's the place for oldies but goodies -- topics that have not been active for a while but that contain excellent information that users may want to refer to later.
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:45 am

I once owned a Targhee ram that regularly clipped at 23-lb skirted fleece. There used to be a 700-head flock of Targhees in West Chesterfield, less than five miles from where I sit. They belonged to Jerry Scanlon, who moved out to Oregon, I think, about 15 years ago, taking three trailer loads of his best ewes with him. The ram came from his flock.

Unfortunately, Mr. T was one of just two rams that I was never able to break, and he went for sausage before he killed me or someone else.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:50 am

Bill, this ram is from Judy Scanlan. Lana

lovetree
Old Hand

Postby lovetree » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:25 am

I can tell you it was tough to not just go with the best looking ram, and instead look at maternal/growth and wool traits, buy i am learning, and this boy was a stand out

Hi Lana,
Nice looking range ramb lamb!
I totally hear you about reviewing the data versus selction by "sight".
When we review our milk production records and then go to select the ewe lambs that we will be keeping over...sometimes it is just down right sad :cry: There are alway some gorgeous lambs that can win a beauty contest any day of the week...but they just dont make the cut.
But...numbers arent always everything either. I have seen some lambs who, according to the records, they should produce the best, but I just HATE their conformation and at that point I dont care what the records say, they grow wheels! Use the best of both worlds :-)
Mary Falk / LoveTree Farmstead
home of the dual purpose Trade Lake Sheep and the nationally celebrated Trade Lake Cedar Cheese
NW Wisconsin

K Bar K Farm
Old Hand

Postby K Bar K Farm » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:34 am

Don't you guys know the old stereotype?

All sheep with good records are ugly, while the 'pretty' (tongue-in-cheek) sheep in the show ring can't perform. :) :) :)

There has to be a balance- we have many 'tools' in our box to use during selection, including records, conformation, temperament, breed type, etc. So many people get hung up on one thing, they forget the whole picture of a balanced sheep. It's refreshing to hear the concept of a balanced animal from the wise people on this forum!

Right now I have a ram lamb in the flock with some of the best EBVs for growth ever produced in my flock. His problem(s)? Swaybacked, wooly face cover, and hocked in. Wanna guess what his nickname is? It rhymes with 'ugly' and has an 'f' on the front of the word.......

Had I picked this ram strictly on numbers, I would have been sorely disappointed when I got him........... but he'll taste good. :-)

Kathy
Kathy Soder
K Bar K Farm
Production-oriented, Performance-tested© Polled Dorsets
First to import Poll Dorset genetics from England in 50 years!
Central Pennsylvania

Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:20 pm

Common sense goes along with any animal selection. I pick a pup based on his parents and others work, and some by pedigree, but all things being equal you may as well pick the good looking pup.

I will always love a good looking clean faced sheep :)

Image TexelX NC 2 year old

Image BFLXNC Lamb

Image NC cross 2 year old with NC lamb

Image the new gals

jpa
Old Hand

Postby jpa » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:20 pm

Lana,

Nice looking sheep. I always enjoy your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Jason

Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:34 pm

Thanks Jason, i know you raise Dorest sheep so i have a funny story for you. My neighbor raises about 400 Polypay ewes, when we told him about the new ewe lambs he said "sounds like a Polypay minus the Dorest...and the meat!"

He did stop and see the lambs and thought they looked nice..time will tell if that old shepherd was right!

Lana

jpa
Old Hand

Postby jpa » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:23 pm

Lana Rowley wrote:My neighbor raises about 400 Polypay ewes,
Lana

You never know about the meat thing. I know a lot of the polypays seem to be really nice sheep, but we would always got some with more finn- type lambs which seemed to lack the meat too. I would think that targhee ram would produce decent lambs too, but have no first hand experience with them. If he is right you can always fix that quickly with a nice thick ram down the road.

Is there a reason you didn't just go with polypays?

Jason

Lana Rowley
Old Hand

Postby Lana Rowley » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:33 am

Jason, my neighbor has some serious foot root issues so i did not want to buy from him. A good friend had purchased some of the Hamilton sheep several years ago and was very happy with them. I wanted something i could buy 50-100 uniform 100 lbs ewe lambs, and the Hamilton ranch had was i was looking for.

I was so tickled with my new ram i went back and bought 10 Targhee ewe lambs from same lady.

Lana

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:29 am

I'm going to archive this thread if no one has anything else to add.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Return to “Archives”