creditabilty

Announcements about changes in the forum. Also a place to ask questions about how to use the forum, or to make suggestions for how it could be improved.
Randy
Old Hand

creditabilty

Postby Randy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:21 pm

Hey Bill
Most of the profiles are .. well not very informitive,
What if, you were to ask , how many sheep you care for , and how long you been messing with em. and what you do with them, markets,?
Would add some crediability to the poster's post.
Or would this step on some toes.
Big Horse Farms
A Proud Producer Of American Lamb

Peg Haese

Postby Peg Haese » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:11 am

Bill, I would at least be interested in having people supply a little bit more in the way of location if possible. That's only to help with answers. A first name is helpful too but that may be asking too much from some people who value their privacy.

It sure is nice to see friends on these ag and dog boards and listserves(Kensmuir, BC Boards, Littlehats, KatChat, Shedders, and others). And if we weren't friends before we joined, we are now.

Peg Haese in SW Wisconsin
PNP Katahdins and commercial wool flock

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:48 am

Hi Randy,

I can and do encourage folks to provide information in their profiles, but I can't require it unless I do so manually every time someone wants to join, and I don't want to take the time or force people to reveal information about themselves that they don't want to. (There are a few exceptions to this: if I feel someone is using the cloak of anonymity to conduct malfeasance, he or she will be summarily removed from the boards, and in order to join, members must provide me with a valid e-mail address.)

In the stickies, I've asked that people include relevant information about their operations so that we can a.) understand their questions or comments better and b.) know what they're talking about.

It would be great if everyone could take a couple of minutes and include some information in your profiles, or failing that, say at least where you are in your signature line.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:02 am

Taking the hint, I have updated my profile. I put info about my flock in the "interests" box. You can only provide a thumbnail sketch.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Randy
Old Hand

Postby Randy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:34 pm

Hey Bill
I too , updated mine, I have nothing to hide, thats my real name, thats where I live, thats what I do.
I just don't understand all the secrecy, vauge locations and ''cute''names.
I kinda think we are all here for the same reasons.
I vist other forums, some other then sheep related, and find a fair number of ''know-it-alls''. They won't give thire real name or location but are sure up to dishing out advice, If they won't admit who they are, and don't really live anywhere, why would I even consider thire advice.
And it seams that the loudest ones are not even engaged in the subject.
Big Horse Farms

A Proud Producer Of American Lamb

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:04 pm

Hi Randy,

I think it's all about comfort level. If I were a single woman, I might be hesitant to put my name or other identifying material that could help weirdos track me down. As I've said before, if I feel that someone's using anonymity as a shield for malicous activities, they won't be using this forum for long.

Otherwise, I'd just ask for people to post as much information about themselves and their flocks as they feel comfortable with.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Return to “Forum operations”