The Archives

Announcements about changes in the forum. Also a place to ask questions about how to use the forum, or to make suggestions for how it could be improved.
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

The Archives

Postby Bill Fosher » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:25 am

Hello all,

In my conversation with my hosting guy yesterday, I learned two things. First, we're not in trouble on bandwidth at all, but we are getting close to the limits I have for disk storage. I'm going to have to start removing older, inactive threads. I won't do anything for a month or so. In the meantime, if you see a thread or remember one that you'd like to not have lost to oblivion, please let me know and I will move it to the archives. The archives will not be pruned, so all information in it will remain accessible to the search function, or to general perusal.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:01 am

Another thing that I'd like input on. The software can be set to "prune" inactive topics after any number of days that we select. It took us nearly a year to get to the point where this was an issue, but the forum is much more active now than it was at its outset. So I'm thinking that I might start out by setting topics to be pruned after there's been no activity for 90 days. I'm open to suggestions.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Stevec
Old Hand

Postby Stevec » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:43 pm

Bill,

Im just one of the new guys but I am computer savvy. If you do need to move older items to the archives I think 90 days of inactivity would work, except here a thread/section gets a new message right before the 90 day cut off - then it would remain active again for another 90 days - it may not solve your problem.

If, however, the older than 90 day posts can be archived that might help ith the disk space issue. Am I getting this right?

Steve
www.spinnerfarm.com
we show and sell Quarter Horses and now, it seems, we raise sheep as well!

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:10 pm

Hi Steve,

I think you've got the basic idea.

What would happen is this: Someone starts a topic and we kick it around for a week or two, and then either the issue gets resolved, we get bored, or whatever. Then the topic just sits there, taking up space.

I can set the software so that it will look at all the topics in all the forum sections (except Archives, which I'll get to in a minute) and delete anything that hasn't had a post for 90 days. These topics will be gone forever; not archived. They will not be accessible via the search function. The key here is that the clock starts running when the last post is made, not the first one. So if on day 89 someone comes along and writes "me too" or "Fosher's an idiot" the topic will not be deleted and will remain right where it is.

When I proposed this idea, I was looking for ways to to trim the amount of disk space taken up by this forum, but I didn't want to cut off discussion or remove topics that could be useful as reference material. I figured if a topic was inactive for 90 days, it was probably more likely than not to stay inactive, and if it was useful as reference material, it could be moved to the "Archives" section, where it would not be deleted.

Right now the forum has every post that has ever been written (with the exception of some posted by spammers and I think one that I had to delete because it included untrue defamatory material). It's taking up nearly six megabytes of the 10 megabytes that I am allocated on my web server. I'd like to limit that somewhat, but not at the expense of a useful forum.

So, again if there's a topic that you think should be saved for future reference -- or just for grins -- let me know and I will spare it from the axe of oblivion.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

WayneG
Old Hand

Postby WayneG » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:30 pm

I have suggestions for the archives, I based this on information that I feel will not go out of date and could be asked again. From general management
1. Deworming lambs
2. OPP & other diseases
3. Pregnancy toxaemia
4. Worming and wormers
5. worm resistance sheep

As I scan the other sections, I will add to the list
Wayne G
The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want.

WayneG
Old Hand

Postby WayneG » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:45 pm

Two more I found-
1. Wanted New stud ram under stock for sale
2. My Grandpa is my dad under breeding and lambing

There are so many good and informative posts that you have your work cut out for you Bill in selecting topics for the archives. Good luck
Wayne G

The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want.

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:31 am

Okay, I've started moving stuff into the Archives section. I think that everything people have asked for so far is there now, plus a couple of my own choosing. Keep the suggestions coming.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi Bill,

some of those topics would do well to be under the heading of 'frequently asked questions' if this is possible, obvious topics for this would be health procedures like deworming and vaccinations, or management questions like how many ewes can a ram serve etc.

I'd like to see any discussion on crops and grazing saved for future reference.

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota

Return to “Forum operations”