UPGRADE!

Announcements about changes in the forum. Also a place to ask questions about how to use the forum, or to make suggestions for how it could be improved.
Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

UPGRADE!

Postby Bill Fosher » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:46 am

Tomorrow at around 8 p.m. EST we will take the sheep production forum offline (we hope) briefly to upgrade the software. The new system appears to have robust enough security that I will be able to allow users to create their own accounts again. There are also some better features, both under the hood and in the user interface. I have been running the software for a while on a dummy site and bots are hitting it but not getting in.

If all goes well, it shouldn't take more than an hour. Sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks for your understanding.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Double Barrel
Old Hand

Postby Double Barrel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks Bill for letting us know that the site will be down. Nothing worse than banging on the computer when its not the computers fault! :?
Got to be a little crazy to keep from going insane!

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Just a reminder that the site will be down starting in about 35 minutes.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Re: UPGRADE!

Postby Bill Fosher » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:00 pm

I think we're back in business as of 8:59 p.m. Please let me know if there are any problems.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

clunmules
Old Hand

Postby clunmules » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:07 pm

Working for me.
Jeff Rogers
Aspen Hollow Sheep Station
100% USDA Certified Organic GrassFed Lamb and Wool

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:38 pm

WHOAH, I was just on here, left and refreshed the board and WOW :shock: new look! at first I thought I was in the wrong place. But I figured Bill must have left word about this and sure enough!

seems to be working, but it will take some getting used to!

Janet
Janet McNally
Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses
Minnesota

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:51 am

I don't particularly like the new look, but I think I'll get used to it. What I do like is the fact that it has robust enough security to allow people to sign up for their own accounts. Also the search function is way faster and generally much less sucky.

clunmules
Old Hand

Postby clunmules » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:40 am

You can change the look by adding some different styles. Your son should be able to do that for you if you decide it is worth it. Just go to the community section of the phpBB site and you can see some additional styles. These used to be called mods. There is probably one out there that has the same look as the old version of the software.
Jeff Rogers
Aspen Hollow Sheep Station
100% USDA Certified Organic GrassFed Lamb and Wool

irenafarm
Old Hand

Postby irenafarm » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Ooh, may I pick styles? :lol: Just kidding. I'm such a layout nerd.

I like it. I haven't had a chance to notice any huge additional functionality but I can tell there's some stuff there (I've already accidentally found "save"). Snazzy! Thanks for your hard work, Bill!
Becca Shouse
Irena Farm
Semora, North Carolina

Double Barrel
Old Hand

Postby Double Barrel » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:03 pm

I didnt check in last night, but tried today from another computer. I kept getting an error message... even thru your own website, Bill.

Ill try again tonight after I feed the Kennel.

New look is nice! I like the more smileys too! :D Cant ever have enough of them! :lol:
Got to be a little crazy to keep from going insane!

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 pm

We had a problem this morning with overload on the server, probably due to automatic registration bots trying over and over again to break the security. I think we've fixed it with some geeky under-the-hood stuff, and it shouldn't happen again unless they actually bring the whole server down, in which case you will see nothing -- no error message even.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Muleflock
Old Hand

Postby Muleflock » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Nice job Bill.

Um...er....I can't locate that spell check button. :?

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Get Firefox. It's built into the browser. That's why I never mkae msiteaks.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:51 pm

irenafarm wrote:Ooh, may I pick styles? :lol: Just kidding. I'm such a layout nerd.

Actually, in reading the documentation, it would appear that you can -- at least for yourself. If and when I load more styles, each user will be able to select her/his own style for viewing the forum. I am going to hold off on doing any modifications for a while, until I have a better sense of how this system is working. If there's instability, I want to be able to know where it's coming from.

------------------------------
Regarding this morning's problems with the boards, it appears that it had nothing whatsoever to do with the new software or any kind of attack on the server. Another site that uses the same database server that I do was going through some sort of spasm and hogging resources. The old software would have shut down just the same as this version did. Basically, when there get to be too many connections to the database, the software recognizes a security threat and stops allow access to the forum until it's told that everything is okay. There were too many connections this morning, but it wasn't because of these boards. Should be a one-time thing.
Bill Fosher

Westmoreland, NH

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:08 pm

I just want to say that I appreciate all your time and expertise in making this forum happen :D I think it is one of the most informative forums out there.

Janet
Janet McNally

Tamarack Prolific and Ile de France crosses

Minnesota

Return to “Forum operations”