Posting problems

Announcements about changes in the forum. Also a place to ask questions about how to use the forum, or to make suggestions for how it could be improved.
Cathy
Familiar Face

Posting problems

Postby Cathy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:59 am

Hi Bill,

It seems that I'm having trouble posting. when I hit sumit it get a message the message "invalid session please resmit form" after about 4 tries it makes me log back it. Am I doing something wrong.

Muleflock
Old Hand

Postby Muleflock » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:42 pm

I'm not Bill, and I'm sure he'll have a better answer but I have the same trouble at home but almost never at work. We have very high speed internet at work but at home, because we live "in between stations" I'm told, we can't get DSL or fiber optic. So we have a dish. And while it's an improvement over the tele line, it's nowhere near as fast as at work. So I have just presumed it's got something to do with the forums set time allotment for loading the document. If it is taking too long, then I get the error message. Also it seems to happen more often with larger posts than smaller ones.

I always save a temporary copy of my post because sometimes it gets completely lost and I have to start over. Then I just copy and paste and try again.

Mark

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi Cathy,

Mark's guess is as good as any I could offer. Sorry you're having difficulties --but it seems you were able to post this. Have you tried again on the other forums?
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Laura L.
Old Hand

Postby Laura L. » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Cathy,

When we had just dial up here at work, I had the same problem as you, but no problems at home where my connection was satellite. Now that we have DSL at work I've had no problems.

Laura

Cathy
Familiar Face

Postby Cathy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:07 pm

that sounds like it. Live out and have good old dial up. well I least I know its not me.

John
Old Hand

Postby John » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:28 am

Cathy,

Just my two cents. When doing a post, I will normally do it in another application (word or a message in outlook) , it also helps me with my horrible spelling. I then just copy and paste my post.

As far as I can tell, the board will use cookies to keep track of your session and different variables if it can, if it cannot use cookies it will use what is call “Session Ids”. Session Ids can be dangerous and a bit unperdictable, even more so if it is a Server Session Id. I would double check to see if you have Cookies Enabled.

Sometimes if you are using Sessions you will notice it in the URL it will say something like “sid=”, which can be a bad practice as it can lead up to a hijack.
John Bracken
Whispering Meadows Farm
Callands, Virginia

John
Old Hand

Postby John » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:59 am

Mark, Mark, Mark, how long is left on that Satellite Internet? I am not a big fan of that type of technology. Is there much between you and the Croswell Pioneer Sugar Silo? If not there is a technology that is very favorable (WISP) for you to use. There is an antenna on that Silo. You of course will need an antenna for your house and depending on how far you are away from it, it could only be about the size of a book, depending on what they are using. I have had very good experiences using WISP.

The one that has service on that silo is at http://www.greatlakes.net/bc_worth_cros_yale_furn_wireless.php, for the price there download speeds are acceptable but there upload is a bit slow. When I had it I was getting the same in both directions. If you have any questions about it let me know.
John Bracken

Whispering Meadows Farm

Callands, Virginia

Return to “Forum operations”