2015 ASI Convention, Reno NV.

List sheep, farm, and agricultural business events here. Not for events that are primarily show-ring events.
Karinlw
Familiar Face

2015 ASI Convention, Reno NV.

Postby Karinlw » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:45 pm

I can not believe that no one in this forim has encourged others to attend the Annual ASI & NLFA, being held in Reno, NV next week. How better to find out what your state organization is doing with YOUR money,since the states have to pay dues in order to participte...
Last edited by Karinlw on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin-PA

Re: 2015 ASI Convention, Reno NV.

Postby Justin-PA » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:43 pm

1) It will cost $1000 for me to fly there and get a hotel. Meals not included.
2) Lambing will be in full swing next week

I'd love to go, but not gonna happen.

Bill Fosher
Chief Shepherd

Postby Bill Fosher » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:14 am

ALB spends checkoff money. Not ASI. (Unless ALB gives it to them.)

It's easier for me to find out what my state organization is doing with my money by being involved with my state organization, actually.

And what Justin said.

ASI needs to figure out better ways to encourage involvement than a conference, usually held in the West, that requires days of travel and hotel stays. Gone are the days when a typical sheep operation can afford to send an owner or key employee off on a junket just to make sure that policy hasn't gone haywire.

Between webinars, video conference calls, e-mails, web forums, and so forth, the need for the vast expense that goes into these conferences is minimal at best. For every 100 people who attend, at least $100,000 is pulled out of the industry's available working capital. This is not an effective use of a scarce resource.

And Karenlw -- you certainly could have taken the same amount of space to write a note encouraging people to attend if you think it's important, rather than chastising others for failing to encourage attendance. When you point your finger there are three more pointing back at you.
Bill Fosher
Westmoreland, NH

Karinlw
Familiar Face

Postby Karinlw » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks for the imput.... i understand about lambing issues, distance and $.
Just wanted to rattle the cage a little. A lot of people go to a lot of work to put together a very well run, educational forum,
Last year, ASI/NLFA met in Charleston, SC... Next year it is Scottsdale, AZ...perhaps with a year's warning, some might be able to plan ahead....

BIGIRON59
Old Hand

Postby BIGIRON59 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:26 am

Middle of lambing season in the Midwest
Perhaps they should look at a summer event in the Rockies ,if they want to add participants. Not all of us want to see " the city lights" . It seems the management of most of these organizations like thier expense paid trips to these destination " conventions" however.
Starving sheepherder on the windblown tundra of Northwest Iowa

Ballymena Sheep
Familiar Face

Postby Ballymena Sheep » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Karin, I want to say thank you for rattling the cage and passing on the word so maybe some of the rest of us could jump on board if we wanted, if not this year, then maybe next. I know you and Tom are really busy with all you do at your farms and with your sheep, and still manage to give so much of yourselves to the sheep industry in many, many ways. Thank you for all you do for the rest of us who don't manage to get their ducks in a row and participate (or in this case it's not ducks, it's sheep :lol: ). Please keep rattling the cage about things that come up.

Lynn

Return to “Events, conferences, etc.”