Grass fed lamb finishing clinic

List sheep, farm, and agricultural business events here. Not for events that are primarily show-ring events.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janet McNally
Old Hand

Grass fed lamb finishing clinic

Postby Janet McNally » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:22 pm

I will be holding a clinic for all those interested in learning how to grade lambs for slaughter, and who are interested in how to finish a lamb on pasture. Attendees will learn how to estimate finish, and there will be a discussion on grazing methods, and forages required to produce a grass finished lamb in Minnesota. Parasite management will also be addressed. This is a half day workshop. The workshop will be held at 1 pm on December 6th in Hinckley, Minnesota, weather providing. Please PM me for directions.

Janet

Linda Poole
Old Hand
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Grass fed lamb finishing clinic

Postby Linda Poole » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Janet-

This sounds like a wonderful learning opportunity no matter where a shepherd lives. But it's just too far from Montana to Minnesota even when the roads are clear, which they won't be soon. Would you consider doing some kind of long-distance learning option? Maybe ask someone to videotape then post highlights to YouTube, or maybe make a pdf of a PowerPoint or written summary of key points and provide us a link in this forum? Sounds like extra work when you already give so much, but if you can swing it there would be a grateful audience.

Linda Poole
Malta, Montana

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:45 pm

I don't have the technical capability. But if someone wanted to come record it, that would be fine.

Janet

Linda Poole
Old Hand

Postby Linda Poole » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:49 am

Janet-

I can't get there to shoot video, but could edit raw footage shot by someone else into a product suitable for YouTube. Another idea is to pack an audio recorder along with you and just let it run. I could turn that into a summary written document once the snow chases me out of the pasture this winter. If it sounds like I'm desperate for more knowledge, you're right.

Linda Poole
Malta, Montana

Janet McNally
Old Hand

Postby Janet McNally » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:50 pm

I guess I need to cancel the clinic, partly because there was no response, and partly because winter arrived early, and full bore. As a result I have already shipped half of my lambs. If anyone is interested in stopping by to learn how to grade lambs, you are welcome to do so, but I will not be able to show you the lambs grazing turnips.

Janet

Return to “Events, conferences, etc.”