Iowa Sheep and Wool Festival

List sheep, farm, and agricultural business events here. Not for events that are primarily show-ring events.
billbeaman
Newcomer

Iowa Sheep and Wool Festival

Postby billbeaman » Tue May 23, 2017 9:10 am

Just received a mailing advertising the Iowa Sheep and Wool Festival. The event looks very interesting, educational and fun. I was also very impressed by the quality and effort that's gone into planning, advertising and presenting this event. Thanks to you who've done a lot of hard work in promotion and planning!

IowaDave
Old Hand

Re: Iowa Sheep and Wool Festival

Postby IowaDave » Wed May 24, 2017 9:05 am

I agree, looks like a great program is planned but it's scheduled for an awful time of year for row-crop/ hay guys like me that also run a commercial sheep flock.

My ability to go will be a game-time decision and only if it rains....
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

rvos
Newcomer

Postby rvos » Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 am

I was curious, what time of year you think would be best for someone in your situation? I could see maybe July working better?

IowaDave
Old Hand

Postby IowaDave » Fri May 26, 2017 2:40 pm

July, Aug, early Sept. Crops don't need as much attention then, and haying can generally wait a day if need be.

I realize there are jackpot lamb shows and the fair circuit to work around, but it doesn't appear that is the target audience anyway.
Dave Walton
Walton Farms
Wilton, IA
@waltonagseed

rvos
Newcomer

Postby rvos » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 am

Hi Dave,

I agree that the timing isn't the very best for those with crops, I am in that situation a bit too, but its when the venue was available and we tried to coincide with the Iowa Sheep and Wool Festival.

I helped write the grant and coordinate some of the event. The Iowa Sheep Industry Association is trying to make a better effort to be applicable to all its members, which is why we made the focus towards commercial producers. If we get enough interest in the event we are going to try and have more producer geared events in the future. There is a great opportunity for sheep production in our state and we wanted to have an event that helped producers with some management ideas and some ways to try to integrate sheep production with crop production since most farmers/producers in the Midwest have both crops and livestock.

If it works for your schedule please consider attending and spread the word so we can continue to have events in the future.

Randall

Return to “Events, conferences, etc.”