A request for new members

In which users discuss matters pertaining to the management of the health, welfare, and productivity of their flocks. Nutrition, pasture management, health care protocols, feeding systems, and such are all on topic.
Polypays4U
Old Hand

Re: A request for new members

Postby Polypays4U » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:56 am

Alex Neshta, I do not know your area or what you plan to produce so it is hard to offer good advice. I hope you can find a local sheep producer to mentor you. Getting started and staying in the business isn't all that easy unless you can get some hands on experience from a local producer. I wish you well.
Bill Hardman
Uncompahgre Polypay Farm
Delta, Colorado
The western home of productive Polypays.

denice
Old Hand

Postby denice » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:13 pm

Alex

Welcome to the forum. There are producers from across the country here so hopefully someone will have some 'more local' insights for you. I have found if you can purchase good quality sheep from a similar area of the country that manages their operation similar also that it the best way to go.

You will find you may get more replies by creating an entire new topic rather than replying to another post.

Denice

NWF
Newcomer

Postby NWF » Sat May 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi Everyone:

I am new here as of a few days ago. I've lurked for a couple of years.

My small farm is located in central Iowa. I raise registered Katahdins and some dual-purpose chickens. I am new to sheep, but have wanted to raise them for years. I bought 6 ewe lambs and a ram lamb a little over a year ago . . . and kept buying. I now have 23 head (13 ewes, 7 ewe lambs, a ram and a ram lamb). The ewes should start dropping lambs any day now. Before purchasing the sheep I read, and read, and read, then attended ag extension sponsored pasture walks, sheep seminars, etc. I tried to learn as much as I could before taking the plunge . . . which means I know exactly nothing. I hope (emphasis on 'hope') eventually to raise genetically strong animals that are parasite resistant, good mothers, etc. I've learned a lot on this bulletin board and look forward to learning lots more.

Thanks for accepting me for membership.

denice
Old Hand

Postby denice » Sun May 21, 2017 10:10 am

NWF

Happy to have you
The more questions you ask the more useful the board will be :) so post away...
Denice

Shiner
Newcomer

Postby Shiner » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Howdy:
Newly joined shepherd from SE Texas, about an hour north of Houston, currently on our 6th year raising Dorper/Katahdin lambs after having Rambouillets for 20 years. We are currently breeding around 35 D/K ewes to a Katahdin ram (for parasite tolerant replacements) as well as a Dorper sire for terminal lambs. We went from drenching the woolies once per 45 days or less to once a year for the hair sheep.

Our main market used to be the sale barn out in Fredericksburg but we were fortunate about 5 years ago to tap into the growing local ethnic market and have sold 95% of our lambs off the farm since then. It has been interesting dealing with folks I otherwise wouldn't have been in contact with.

Shiner - prosit

denice
Old Hand

Postby denice » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:51 am

Shiner
Good to have you here. Hopefully you enjoy the discussion
Denice

Return to “General management”